Disc Overload with SATA2 HDD

Abc12346

Hi, I just upgraded my system. One upgrade was adding a new S-ATA 300 drive. I thought that it might resolve the earlier problems with Disc Overload on the IDE drives.

The problem persists, but only when I am downloading and uploading at the same time.

Specs:

100/100 full duplex (10-11MB/s up and down)

S-ATA2 Samsung drive

1024MB RAM

The only solution at the moment is to run lower upload speeds when downloading, I am fine with it but if there is a known solution I would geatly appreciate if anyone told me =)

By the way, I have augmented the cache size to about 500MB of the RAM, but that is not really good because the system gets kinda slow.

Please advise,

Sebastian

Thanks for the posts, still the same problem though. Could it be the higher transfer speeds that mess with the disk? For example when downloading in 8MB/s and uploading in 7MB/s it starts complaining. Maybe I just have to limit the upload while downloading, no other way to solve the problem...

• 2 weeks later...

Allright, I just figured out the problem. All this time I have been customizing the default allocation unit size of the partition to which I download with uTorrent. The allocation unit size I have been using is either 32K or 64K. Perhaps it is worth to put this up somewhere as a sticky, since I have been able to help a couple of friends out already, with Disc Overload problem.

If you need to know anything else, or just want me to clarify the solution, just reply!

Best regards,

Sebastian Andersson

Hehe :P Should have read the message one more time before posting i guess =) The problem is caused by the larger allocation size (32-64KB) aka. "Cluster size", I guess it could have to do with the "needle" having to move longer distances, and as I download/upload (7-11/7-11)MB/s simultaneously it makes some difference.

To resolve the problem you'll have to re-format the partition in question, and use the Windows Default for cluster size, if you use windows (Should be a size of about 4KB).

To reformat:

- Make sure to backup all files on the partition about to be formatted, as you obviously will loose all information on this partition.

- Open "My computer"

- Right click on drive to format(partition used by uTorrent)

- Choose "Format..."

- Format using the settings chosen by windows (NTFS, Default allocation unit size ...)

This should fix the problems, at least for you guys using a 100/100 full duplex line. On slower speeds the larger unit sizes didn't cause Disc overload.

Best regards,

Sebastian Andersson

Looks like uTorrent cant process things when it goes to fast, wonder if it in real is a speedproblem for my data loss so I had to de-activate Disk Cache completely to get it working fine. uTorrent should maybe have better error controll built in for process speeds and waitstates.

@roxplace: I highly doubt it's an issue with µTorrent if people with gigabit (yes, gigabit) connections have reported it to be working fine before, and working better than ever with the disk cache system introduced in 1.6. And yeah, oizo's 100mbit symmetric up/down connection also proves that... I'm still willing to point my finger at nVidia in your case due to a lack of any hard evidence showing µTorrent to be the cause =\

@oizo: Thanks for the clarification :)

Archived