Red exclamation mark and no port forwarding, slow speeds

bounci.rabbit.123

Ok, so most of you are probably sick of people asking for help here, but I've spent hours looking at the FAQs, setup guides, searching the forum (and following help links in those threads), and surfing the web for answers, and I just can't find it. I set up a static IP, followed all directions for port forwarding, disabled uPnP on router and uTorrent, and I'm still getting:

ERROR: Port 53219 does not appear to be open.

And my red exclamation just won't go away. I do have PeerGuardian, but I can't figure out how to configure it to allow uTorrent since the website is down. I don't even know if that's the problem, but it shouldn't be.

I have:

Verizon DSL (768kbps)

Linksys Router WRT54G v6

Westell Modem 6100

Speed test results:

~740 kbps for download

~128 kbps for upload

Global max number of connections: 80

Max number of connected peers per torrent: 55

Number of upload slots per torrent: 3

I should be able to download at around 90kbps, but I'm stuck at around 5-20kbps. It's strange because I tried the OpenOffice torrent and that was VERY stable at 90kbps, but I can never get that same speed or stability with any other torrent, even with those that have lots of seeds and peers.

I have not changed many of the settings for global max number of connections, since they seem to not help at all. I am not randomizing ports. I have read that I should download a third party firmware for my router but when I got to the page it told me that it didn't apply to v6 routers, so I didn't download and use it.

Somebody please help me! I am completely lost!

Thanks for telling me that. However, I cannot access the modem's configuration page. My default gateway is 192.168.2.1, and I'm typing that into the address bar, but I can't pull up the page. I've also tried 192.168.1.1, but that didn't work either. Any ideas?

Also, how do I find out the IP address of the modem and the router? Aren't they the same?

Yes, you don't have to get very many connections before you're gaining less and less from EACH new connection. Even how fast you're making them (half open connect max rate) can cut into your download and upload rate. Eventually, the mass of ips can use up all the bandwidth the connection has just to stay connected to them all! Long before that point, such a peer or seed is more hostile than helpful.

1 GOOD seed or peer is often worth 10 or more bad ones. I've seen a single peer or seed upload to me (I'm downloading from them) at >300 KB/sec. Even assuming they have few other connections, that's still a very fast connection.

But you can't be guarenteed that any given ip is a good one...however with throttling ISPs out there, I can say there are ip ranges that are consistantly "bad" seeds or peers. But it is better to allow them to connect, because sometimes a 0.5-1 KB/sec download rate from a bad ip may be all you can get on an old torrent.

Somebody can have a good connection but use poor settings and be a bad seed/peer. Worse, they can be attempting to maximize their download at expense of upload. If everyone did that, everyone's download speeds would be very low and torrents would often be stuck at less than 100% after hours if not days.

Ironically, some try to be more "giving" by setting their upload slots very high and upload speed to unlimited...and they can end up being almost worthless to everyone else trying to get the same torrents.

Archived