Data loss with Disk Cache in uTorrent

roxpace

Been struggling with a problem the last weeks that I am getting a data loss when downloading big packages of RAR files (more than 2,5 Gb atleast). uTorrent reports no errors but when I am trying to unpack it I get CRC error on one or two RAR files and I have to re-download them.

I tried to remove Nvidia driver and suddenly uTorrent worked fine, I tried many different Nvidia drivers with same result.

Then today with Nvidia driver I turned OFF ALL Disk Cache settings in uTorrent and everything worked like a dream.

Anyone knows why I am getting this data loss with disk cache and how can I solve it and remain some kind of cache to be more friendly to my SATAII harddisk.

PS! For all those who might be asking me to run Memtest86+ or something like that I can tell you that I have already done that very intensive and no errors what so ever !DS

Good point, Nvidia is not superior when it comes to drivers to their hardware, but I would never imagine it could hurt uTorrent so much. And I wonder if I am alone or if there are much more out there, since this fault never cab be seen until you unpack many thinks maybe that the download was corrupt and thinks its a normal thing on our messy internet.

But still I also feel uncomfortable with this quick solution, I should be able to use some sort of cache to save my harddisk a little.

I doubt that I am alone, but this problem is tough to see before it's too late and then you mostly blame other things like a bad source for the torrent file since the torrent client didnt warn.

I also checked that FAQ for incompatible softwares, I am definately not using any of those. Like I said, uTorrent works perfectly without NVidia driver, so maybe that is another software to add to the list ? I wish I could excluse NVidia driver from a such scenario I have now but fact is fact, of course it could be in combination with a third thing like hardware and other drivers. But like I said I have also tried to make a clean installation on a new partition with no unnecessary drivers EXCEPT for NVidia and it doenst work, without NVidia driver on the same partition all of suddenly uTorrent works just fine with no "secret data loss"

Seen several other posts here and other places about "similar problems" with SATAII, the problem seems to show in different ways but often the Disk Cache is a reason for troubles. Maybe it would be time to by default have it turned off just in case or research more how to auto-adjust the settings to avoid overload or data losses.

Little sorry that no one have a clue about this, nVidia 2nd line support is anyway looking at this seriously, lets hope they have an answer, and I am sure there are many others with same problems as me since I am not alone with this hardware and software environment and using bittorrent clients.

Archived