Setup DHT

pb1dft

I understand that there is no 'bootstrap DHT out of the box' solution. But my criticism here is a little bit in place I think.

DHT should be a trackerless solution. As long as we need a bootstrap like router.utorrent.com there is a single point of failure.

Isn't it possible to let utorrent function as DHT bootstrap server like the tracker functionality that's already build in?

Today PB1DFT and I did some tests in order to setup our own DHT server.

uTorrent itself is also working as DHT server as long as the right ports will be used. This are the steps to create you own local DHT server:

1 - point router.utorrent.com via DNS (or hosts file) to your SEED server

2 - Disable PEX on all uT clients to be sure that connections will be made via DHT

3 - Create a trackerless torrent

4 - Configure the SEED server with uTorrent on port 6881

5 - Ping from the clients to router.utorrent.com. It should resolve the IP address from the SEED server.

6 - Connect from different subnets / VLANS with clients with the trackerless torrentfile.

7 - Watch the status flags

Conclusion:

All local clients that are local to the SEED server are not connected via DHT. The H status is not displayed.

All remote clients are showing the H status.

More interesting even is the fact that The SEED server is functioning as router when machines cannot reach each other because of VLAN restrictions.

Archived