utorrent vs other other progs...

ksa2609

i think the problem is not that utorrent is good or bad... but it is basically a rip prog and it pi**es off the other progs/trackers because the SHARE/RATIO is not enforced in utorrent.

i've been net-searching crap for years (and best is university sites in 3rd world countries, they think they have no copyright obligations) and when i first found utorrent i thought... this is nuts!!!

of course, i took my 25 gb... left to seed... never heard a thing untill yesterday when i started getting bad hash reports, speeds of 0-15 kb/s, dead on 99.9% and then started looking up info on the net...

yah... it's being banned... stop looking at the speed bar, that's not your ego... read the log (non-verbose...) 17 entries? 5 are of being banned, keep watching, it keeps up

so... while running utorrent, i installed bitcomet... hit install, hit a torrent i had saved... had it in 20 mins (no other configuration involved, perhaps i was lucky, already had my AV p2p shut down because of utorrent)

but now : )) because i got that 140 MB download via bitcomet... i gotta give back to get more... but that's cool, that was/is the nature of the beast...

i can see the stories of some... i have 3 networked machines and 24/7 net connections... so for me it is easy, heaven forbid the days of dial-up... does it still exist? :))

but, to wrap this up... sorry to go on so long...

utorrent is being banned or ostrisized because of not enforcing share/ratio...

if they tell you different, try another torrent prog...

discover for yourself...

ksa2609

ksa2609@canadianwebmaintenance.com

please don't bring me your software problems

i don't do software : )

The SHARE/RATIO is not enforced in Azureus, BitComet, or BitTorrent (the original) as well. Nor is it enforced in BitTornado or ABC which uses some of the BitTornado source.

Obviously, that's not the reason.

There are numerous trackers running buggy code which mistakenly think µTorrent is reporting to the tracker too often (rather than too seldom!) and they then ban µTorrent due to their own bugs. But unless you can convince the site owners to check their own code (and change it if it's broken!)...there's nothing you can do but change to a BitTorrent client that the crappy tracker likes.

Dial-up still exists in HUGE numbers all over the world. Ironically, it is very common in the USA outside of major cities where broadband is either nonexistent or expensive.

and btw ksa2609, it looks like you don't understand what the log is actually saying... Those bans there mean that YOU are banning THEM cause they seed bad data, NOT that you have been banned... This also explains the 99.9% problem, they seed bad data and you can't finish the torrent, most likely the problem is the dreaded "thumbs.db" file (google it).

Archived