Firewall issue

kedar85

I'm using uTorrent 1.6.1 on Windows XP SP2. I have disabled the Windows firewall. I had installed Zonealarm Pro, but have uninstalled it for the moment. No antivirus. I am not using any router nor any modem (the ISP supplied a LAN connection from a nearby switch).

The first time I setup uTorrent, I got the message that port 14592 was blocked. I contacted the ISP and had them open up this port on the NAT server. This port is still not open, but the downloads are working.

However, for some time I got the yellow triangle in the status bar saying 'No incoming connections'. Now I get a red ! saying 'Not connectible, open a port to allow others to connect to you'.

Can you tell me how are my downloads working if the port is not opened, or which port do I need to open to allow incoming connections?

Thanks!

There is a switch on the terrace of my building which serves 7-8 machines in and around my building. I receive a LAN cable from this switch and plug it in my laptop. They have given me a private IP to use.

But what I wanted to know was that if the port which uTorrent uses (14592) is not open on the NAT server which I go through, how are my downloads working? Does uTorrent tunnel packets through some well known port?

It depends on how the administrator runs things. If (s)he blocks P2P/BitTorrent traffic, then you can't do anything about it. If it simply doesn't forward the ports, then just select the appropriate upload speed in the Speed Guide, and that's about all you can do. Be aware that being firewalled is a Bad Thing™, but there isn't much you can do about that.

Archived