Port-Checker Says Port Closed but Light is Green (sometimes)

Truckless

Hi-

I've recently switched from BitTornado to uTorrent but I can't seem to open the port.

I was never firewalled with BitTornado. I know I have many potential problems b/c I'm using a Motorola SB5101 SurfBoard modem and a Linksys WRT54G v.5 router with Cox as my ISP. I've read all of the info on potential issues with these and I don't think they apply to me. I've pored over the forums and can't solve this.

I have a static ip and my router is forwarded to it. The light at the bottom is mostly yellow but occasionally turns green!?! When I try the port-checker it always says the port is closed, even when the light is green. I've tried changing ports, rebooting my computer/router/modem, nothing works.

Is it possible that the port-checker is wrong?

Any thoughts?

If it was the modem, then wouldn't the port-checker show the port as open when the light is green? Or at least sometime?

How can I find out if Cox is using a transparent proxy, and if they are, what can I do about it (other than switching ISPs)?

Start > Run > cmd /k ipconfig /all

For your default gateway IP address...

- if it begins with 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x-172.31.x.x, or 10.x.x.x, tell me which one it begins with

- if it doesn't begin with any of those, then if the format is x.x.y.y for the gateway IP, tell me what y.y are

Er, stupid directions I gave earlier... My bad (it was obvious that the gateway IP would be that, since you're behind the Linksys -- whoops).

Um, try connecting your computer directly to the SurfBoard and see if the problem continues to happen.

Ok, I'm connected directly to the modem and the light is green. It seems to be working b/c it's not switching back and forth from yellow to green like it was before.

Does this mean it was a problem with the ports on my router? Why would the light sometimes go green?

Another thought occurred to me... I don't technically use a static IP address b/c it makes it inconvenient to use my laptop on other networks, but I got around it by somehow setting it so that I get assigned the same IP address every time via DHCP. Would this be a problem? I didn't think it would since I always have the same IP address... the one that the port is forwarded to.

If it's still of any use, my default gateway address, now that I'm bypassing the router, isn't starting with any of the examples you gave. The last two numbers are .108.1

Thanks for your help.

Yah, it's 99.9% sure to be a router problem then... Set a static IP up, as Linksys routers don't like manually forwarding ports to an IP within its DHCP range (which should be 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.149 by default). So set your static IP to 192.168.1.50 or something.

Archived