Network Status Light always yellow

xliuserx

Quick summary of the problem. I keep getting the yellow or red light and the utorrent port checker always comes up with ERROR.

I spent a lot of time chasing a red herring that was the port forwarding issue. It became too frustrating so I plugged directly into my cable modem and tried again. I still get the same problem. So I looked up my cable modem and found that the RCA DCM425 is sometimes thought of as a cable modem/router combo and sometimes not. In either case, my IP is the same as the one being checked on the port checker.

I am using windows firewall, and the exception rules are in place for the utorrent .exe and TCP and UDP ports. I'm not quite sure what to do now that I'm plugged directly into the cable modem. What could be blocking the ports? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.

EDIT: I also briefly went off windows firewall out of desperation and still the yellow icon. That has to mean it's the cable modem or ISP right?

ISP: Earthlink via TimeWarner

Router: D-Link DI-624 (currently bypassed)

Cable Modem: RCA DCM425 (issued by TimeWarner)

Firewall: Windows Firewall

uTorrent: 1.6.1

Does your motherboard use an nVidia nForce chipset? And while you're still connected to the modem directly, check Start > Run > cmd /k ipconfig /all

Does the default gateway IP address start with 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x-172.31.x.x, or 10.x.x.x?

I have a Dell e521 which has a motherboard with the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU. That GPU is not being used since I have a PCI-E add on card, also nVidia, the Geforce 9800GS.

The default gateway is listed as: 64.131.x.x

It is indeed the "NForce 430 chipset with the AM2 socket". That said, I checked out to see if the nvidia firewall was installed, and it wasn't. The only nvidia thing that shows up in my add/remove programs is the display driver. The IDE driver was also installed, and i removed it.

I would absolutely love it if this were my problem, but I can't find any evidence that nvidia firewall was ever installed on my computer. I'm ready to start smashing things because I've wasted so much time on this.

EDIT: I decided to plug in my old ass laptop and lo and behold, it works perfectly. The problem is definitely with my machine and not the router or ISP or cable modem.

Anyone have any ideas with regard to finding and removing the hidden nForce chipset firewall?

For one thing, try checking the BIOS to see if you can disable it. Also, try upgrading the drivers and not installing nVidia Firewall. As a last resort, try actually installing the firewall with the nForce drivers, and seeing if you can actually configure it.

A word of warning if you take the last route: nVidia Firewall has been known to cause problems before. Some people say that the latest versions of the nForce drivers fixed the issue, but YMMV.

In case you're wondering... I'm so focused on nVidia Firewall because it's the only lead I've got left :| I'm sure it's not an ISP issue because Time Warner isn't blocking my ports.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to fixing this problem. It was the ATT Global Network client that I had installed on my machine for work. The newest version of the client has a built in firewall that somehow remains on and blocking ports even when the client is not running. I uninstalled that program and everything works beautifully.

Thanks for your help Ultima, you were on the right track with the hidden firewall, and it eventually led me to the correct solution.

Archived