ZipTorrent Pollutes and Slows Down Popular Torrents

thexfile

BitTorrent users are facing a new enemy. A BitTorrent client named ZipTorrent, allegedly created by our friends from the anti-piracy organization Media Defender, leeches bandwith and spreads useless data chunks.

The goal of ZipTorrent is to slow down popular downloads as much as possible. They use hundreds of these clients at the same time and this can potentially bring the average download speed down to zero. Even more so, it is not unlikely that it will record your IP-address in the process so they can send you a copyright infringement notice on top of it.

http://torrentfreak.com/ziptorrent-pollutes-and-slows-down-popular-torrents/

In my quest to find out more about ZipTorrent, I tried to download it and run it...to see if there's some sort of countermeasures µTorrent could do to fight it.

But strangely, ZipTorrent couldn't run...its automatic updater website is DOWN, probably permanently. I was unable to hack it to run without attempting an automatic update.

My guess is the release of the program probably coincided with a joint FBI/MPAA/RIAA "sting" to crack down on BitTorrent-driven "piracy". Their sting is over, so the program's website was pretty much shut down too.

It was possibly logging a LOT of info about people who used it.

I wish I could confirm more, but I just don't know enough networking or programming to delve into the harder details.

Archived