Help! Going insane trying to get torrent to play. (Newbie!)

carniv4

Hi:

I'm a complete newbie to the torrent world and I've been trying for over two days to get this stuff to work. I've read countless FAQ pages that all get so technical and complicated and seem to only answer questions for people who are already up-and-running - none of them just simply walk you through step-by-step on how to get it all set-up.

I downloaded uTorrent. I saved and then downloaded one torrent onto my hard-drive successfully. It is a .torrent file as far as I can tell from the extension. It shows up in my downloaded files in the uTorrent program. However, every time I try to open it up and play it, I keep getting error messages that certain components aren't found or that certain file types are incompatible. I've tried RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, Quicktime, etc. - none of them will play this thing. I have the current versions of these programs.

I also downloaded a K-Lite Codec Pack after reading MORE faq pages trying to figure out what's wrong. Still, nothing will play. More error messages. I've turned off firewall and still nothing. I am literaly going insane over this and the more I read all the techno-jargon on FAQ pages, the more confused I get. Could this whole technology be any more complicated? Is anyone really supposed to figure out how to use these things? Sorry for sounding so frustrated and angry. I'm just so exhausted trying to figure this out. Two days of hitting my head against the wall.

If anyone has any simple suggestions as to what I have not done right, please let me know. Thanks!

Retawd is right, you're trying to open a file that doesn't do anything except point you to the file that needs downloading. Open uTorrent, and open your windows explorer to where the file is and drag/drop it in the main uTorrent window. You should see a blue down-facing arrow and the file should start downloading. Once it's finished, you will be able to view it with whatever program is appropriate or necessary

Archived