utorrent no longer launches from program files?

kayla6699

i just upgraded to 1.7. i always found the .exe for 1.6 in the program files.

i downloaded 1.7 into my downloads folder, thinking the utorrent.exe would install wherever it should.

after i exited out of the program i found i couldn't find it anywhere. in desperation i opened the .exe from my download folder, and it opened again with all my torrents.

is it not installing in the program files anymore?

can i safely move the utorrent.exe into the program files now that it's already installed and launch it from there? or is it already someplace else that i can't find?

i didn't opt for a desktop or start menu icon, cause i already had a place i wanted it's icon to go. now i wish i had so i could at least see it's path.

ok, but it's getting weirder and weirder. now when i boot my computer i have a security warning that comes up for the utorrent.exe asking if i want to open the file.

that never happened with 1.6. it always just automatically opened. has anything changed or am i forgetting that i disabled such a warning waay back when installed 1.6?

ok, thank you. i didn't see an "unblock", only attributes: read only or hidden, on the .exe's properties, but i think i solved the problem by unchecking a box on the security warning.

tell me this, tho. on 1.6 i had a place in the utorrent program files folder, separate from my documents>download folder, that held all the little "add new torrent" files that i click to get the torrent to begin downloading.

since all i have now is a utorrent.exe file that i put myself in a folder in my program files, where are all those little files going? (what are they called? :-)

okey dokey...found that. but i did have a folder in the utorrent directory that held all the .torrent files i downloaded. at one time when i looked at it, it was several megs.

so utorrent's not set up like that anymore?

excuse all these questions, but i'm trying to understand more about this program, and without a program folder i can look around in, it's a little more difficult.

on 1.6 i found those files in the utorrent folder. am i wrong there? delusional?

or at least i found what looked like those files in the utorrent directory. didn't there used to be more in the utorrent folder than just an .exe file?

my 1.6 download was a setup.exe. what happened to that? evidently there used to be more files than just an .exe file.

why, thank you. it wasn't that i wanted them to be stored with the .exe file, i was just wondering about the set up. i hadn't looked at the faqs, because frankly, i don't understand most of the terminology there, like %appdata%\uTorrent.

it is a good idea, tho, to have it all together, so maybe i will move it.

thanx for hanging in there with me...and all my probably clueless questions.

ya know, it might be nice if you guys put together a real tutorial for folks like me who have very little idea about torrent technology. just a walkthru of the program and the best way to set it up.

i think it's a fabulous, fantastic tech, but other than knowing it downloads bits of files, shared among users, i know squat about what it's all about...and i would like to. :o)

thanx, again.

Archived