New uTorrent user ... cant get port forwarding to work

tombrown

I know this is probably a common question, but I have done some searches in the forum and looked at the FAQ and am still stuck, so if anyone can point me to the right place I woudl be grateful:-

I recently installed uTorrent (this is my first foray into the world of torrents) and I can't get the port forwarding to work (the test in the speed guide fails). As a result (I assume) the download speeds are very slow (~5kB/s)

I have followed the instrucitons on portforward.com to ensure that the relevant port is forwarded on my router (Linksys WRT54G v5) but still no improvement.

Soem info:-

- Windows Vista

- Windows firewall on (but uTorrent is listed as an exception).

- My main PC is on a static IP address (that I have checked is outside the DHCP range for the router), but the rest of the network is DHCP.

- have UPnP and NAT-PMP disabled in utorrent.

- I have tried using three different ports so far. I

Where next?

PS Not sure whether I shoudl have posted in troubleshooting or speed problems, so I put it her for now. If that's wrong please let me know & I'll move it

Thx

No modem - I have a wireless link that comes down from the aerial as ethernet and straight into the back of my Linksys WRT54G.

FWIW - The web address 192.168.1.1 brings me to a status page for a "Motorola 5.7GHz - Subscriber Module - 0a-00-3e-f7-86-e5" - not sure if this is my own receiver (on the roof) or the local basestation

An ethernet cable (with power) runs from the aeriel on my roof to the Linksys router.

However I think I have found the problem, I got the following email from my SP yesterday:

Hi Tom

Unfortunately BitTorrent is blocked on our network as it causes disruption to other users and this would fall under our fair usage policy .

Regards

Unfortunately, as I live in the back of beyond in Ireland, this is the only service available to me for the moment ... :(

Archived