slow downloads

caboosiumsargide

hey. i've been using utorrent for about 9 months now, but just registered at the forums. and for the first 8 months of using utorrent, everything worked perfectly. then about a month ago, the smae file that was downloading perfectly (bout 70kbs) suddenly slowed to about 5. along with all of my other downloads. i thought that it was low seeder activity, so i shrugged it off. but then i tried to refresh a page that had take bout 1/4 of a second to load after i had started up utorrent, and it took about 2 minutes to refresh the thing. uTorrent was downloading at 5 kbs at the time. My max download rate, outside of a spike, is about 165 kbs (i live in a rural area with basic dsl, i think). So as far as i can tell, utorrent is downloading at 5 kbs, but using 164.99999 kbs of bandwidth. I tried to reinstall after completely removing utorrent, giving my torrents a chance to finish, and then i reinstalled it. It worked fine for about 2 days, and then it started using up all my bandwidth again.

Can someone help me with this problem?

EDIT: I am on a Netgear wireless router, but these problems were occurring before i set up the wireless.

if you're absolutely sure that your upload rate is not choking your download - what does the speedtest say about upload Kbit/sec and what is your utorrent set to as max upload in KByte? ... then post a HickjackThis report. might be your PC has caught a bad disease.

also check that you have disabled the local peer discovery - it's enabled per default and maybe the update to 1.7.5 has enabled it?

1. test your upload speed. Then use the speed guide in utorrent CTR+G to adjust your max upload .

2. disable "local peer discovery" in utorrent-->preferences-->Bittorrent

3. if you are sure that your utorrent settings are fine and still expereince slowness, post a HijackThis logfile. (google "HijackThis"). It's a tool which can show whether your PC has caught a virus or something similar that steels your bandwidth.

Archived