Can someone please clear this up?

Liath

**edit

I managed to fix this by deleting everything uTorrent related (other than the EXE), and then creating a blank text file, naming it settings.dat, and putting it in the uTorrent service directory. Had to redo every setting, but well worth it. It works now.

I'd still like to know where the heck it was storing the settings when there were no settings.dat files on any hard-drive in the box....

**/edit

Okay... I've done this a million times, and it still doesn't work properly.

I'm using 1.7.5 (tried 1.6.1 and 1.7.4 that came with the rar), and when it asks to install on first run I tell it NO. I have it set up in a certain folder where I keep programs I have running as services.

%APPDATA%/utorrent exists, settings.dat is in that directory, and I've placed webUI.zip into this directory.

I've gone to the preferences, and enabled the webGUI, I changed the port to 6888, set the username & password, etc. etc.

I go to http://admin:password@127.0.0.1:6888/gui/ in FireFox on the same computer (and to the lan IP on another one), and neither of them work. I get a blank page.

Supposedly the blank page means that webUI isn't in the correct place. But... I *know* that it is in the correct place as described in the readme. I've also tried putting webui.zip in the same folder with utorrent, tried the 'program files' directory, etc. etc. Nothing works.

uTorrent shows this in its log:

[time] 127.0.0.1: GET /gui/

[time] unable to read webui.zip

[time] 192.168.1.16: GET /gui/

[time] 192.168.1.16: GET /gui/

[time] 127.0.0.1: GET /gui/

So... I don't know if it isn't running due to not 'installing' utorrent (which does nothing but copy itself to the utorrent folder and add icons, as far as I can tell), or if there is some idiotic step that I'm missing, but it doesn't work.

If someone could clear this up, I'd greatly appreciate it.

**edit

Thinking that the settings.dat file was corrupted somehow, I removed all files in the %appdata%/utorrent path. What is really strange is that when I load uTorrent, all the settings are still there, but I cannot locate where they are being saved. All I can think to say is "WTF?!?"

Where the hell is uTorrent saving settings? I've checked everywhere I can think to check, I've done a search of every hard-drive on the machine, and there is no settings.dat file anywhere????

**/edit

Yes, that is th correct path. I fixxed it as noted in the top of the previous post, but I was still curious as to where it was storing the settings when I'd deleted every copy of settings.dat on the computer.

Has me stumped :P

I got everything working though. Dunno how, to be honest.

Maybe because I hadn't restarted the comp, some data was left hanging around in memory that had the settings, or something.

Archived