Open outgoing ports

mrlarge

I'm trying to envisage a situation in which allowing connections to remote ports <1024 might cause problems. The way I see it, my software firewall is only allowing connections for uTorrent to ports that others have selected as their incoming port, so, theoretically, there should be no issues with allowing uTorrent to connect to any remote port.

Net nasties being what they are, however, it does make me feel uncomfortable to be connecting on port 1, or 22, or 23 or 88, but I don't know if I'm being irrational.

Can anyone think of a situation in which this might cause problems for myself or the peer with the funny port?

Thanks

Other than having a stupid firewall that says µTorrent is sending emails just because it's connecting to the SMTP port, or the possibility that the port might not bind properly for the people on the other end if they don't configure properly or have conflicting softwares using the ports, I can't really see any problems with connecting to the well-known port range. (w00t run-on sentence)

Archived