my upload speed is faster than my download speed

bread_huxley

hi, there all. i've got a 512kbps dsl line & i'm using vista. my download speed was hovering around 20-25 but for the last week or so, my upload has been at that same speed with virtually nothing on the download side. is there anything i can do about this?

i'm kinda computer illiterate so i'd appreciate if someone could break it down for me nice & newspeak. sorry if this has already been covered.

what is your bandwidth? you say your have a 512kbps download line, but if you are looking at 20-25 upload speeds does that mean you have a 512kbps upload speed as well? seems like a weird configuration to me. You can start off by calling your ISP service provider and asking them what download and upload speed you really have and also ask them to make sure they dont see any problems from their side.

Have you recently installed any software that might come with a firewall (antivirus, antispyware)? What is the status on the bottom of utorrent (green, yellow, red)? is your pc connected (wired or wireless) to a router or wired directly to your dsl modem? what are your router/modem models? what is your utorrent version? who is your ISP?

I am no expert at this, but I think people here need these answers in order to try and figure out what the problem is. Cheers.

hey, i'm not sure about the bandwidth. how do i find that out? my connection is 512 so i was told that my maximum download speed would be around 50(although i haven't gotten above 30). i have PC Tools Firewall Plus, but it's been on here since day 1. my utorrent version is 1.7.7 & the icon is green. my laptop is connected directly to the modem which is Speedtouch. my ISP is called Nesma(i'm in saudi arabia). i did recently download Adobe Flashplayer(not sure if that has any bearing on the issue). thanks for the help again.

If you have a green light status then you have no connection problems. Try getting the first torrent from http://slackware.com/torrents/ , just right click on the first link there (ISO disc 1) and choose Save target as, then save the torrent and run it. Leave it running for a while, what DL speed did you reach?

And about your ISP, they should tell you what download/upload speed service you have, they usually just give you the download bandwidth spec, but leave out the upload speed number because ordinary people dont care much about uploading. You can find out by doing some speed tests, I am in America so I use http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ which has locations close by. I would suggest you google for a speed test service near your city/country. If you do get a near 512kbps download result, then your maximum data transfer and storage (download) speed would be around 50 kB/s. Well, this aint that much related to your torrenting problem, just wanted to let you know that when you have DL speed problems usually the first step is to actually test your service.

Archived