uTorrent just went crazy and started deleting files when seeding

flacinhell

OK, maybe I was bad seeding a new release I just made from a disk with ~20 meg free space (WinXP/NTFS).

My torrent was uploaded, verified to 100% and started seeding OK, so I went to my other comp. When a leeceher connected I noticed I was no longer seeding, so went back to the computer and saw it saying "Disk Full" and uTorrent was deleting files from the release (permanently, not to the trashcan).

I can guess it needed space for buffering or something - but I assumed this would only apply to leeching, and it wouldn't/shouldn't have verified to 100% and started to seed if diskspace was an issue.

Now luckily this is EAC/FLAC stuff so I can rip again, maybe it's bad of me to seed with only 20 meg free space on that disk, and I won't be doing it again - but I expect this is not designed behaviour and uTorrent should exit or do anything else other than start deleting files.

In the next 20 mins I'll fire up uTorrent again, are there any logs I can get now (I have exited the program, but not restarted) that might be helpful?

I don't think it would start to delete files. The only thing that could happen is that the %-done meter goes down a bit when the disk is full, because it throws away the unwritten stuff that's in memory.

Serious. I'm a coder/techie. I couldn't believe it. I know it's only words but I swear on my life they were deleted. Once I've seeded my release I'll have a go at replicating this issue - and advise someone else to have a go (maybe it can be done from a USB memory stick or something).

I was running without the "allocate diskspace" option, if that is useful.

Some more info, it deleted 11 FLAC files (338 meg) - torrent size was 496.79meg

Now I guess it deleted these files because having track-numbering, e.g. 01 - SongA.flac, 02 - SongB.flac they were alphanumerically first.

Update: OK.....OK..... my New Years Resolution was not to jump to conclusions..... me bad.

What happened is it moved half of the files to my Completed Folder (on another drive that's full). So luckily it didn't delete them. However I'd have thought it should do some space checking for the WHOLE TORRENT once complete if it is moving between drives ??? It should not have moved half a torrent, then I guess most people have the move on the same drive - I normally do, but in this case have now turned auto-moving off.

I got 4 250gig drives all full.....guess I should of asked Santa for another.....

Archived