Upgraded to 1.8 - Very slow

renwickftw

Hi all. Well after upgrading utorrent from 1.7.7 to 1.8, speeds have been sluggish as hell. I have not changed any settings that were in place before the upgrade, which worked flawlessly. I dont have any firewall on, just Nod32 as anti virus. My port is forwarded and I have the green tick. I try one of the Slackware torrents and I get like 5kb/s. My connection is 10mbit/768kbit. Please help.

Ok I have found the problem. The reason why I cannot connect to many peers is because I have too many torrents running, nearly 300. Why so many? Because I am part of private trackers, where I must seed for some time to maintain being a member. So once I stop all my seeding torrents and lower the max active torrents, I pick up much more peers. Is there any way to make it so that I can seed many torrents AND download at the same time, without problems? I was doing it before with no problems. My router is a DLink DSL-G604T.

D-Link ruters are infamous for being unable to handle too many connections in many of their products. Chances are that you got lucky before, or maybe µTorrent wasn't using the full global number of connections you had set. Either way, you should follow the Speed Guide's recommendations. Starting too many torrents only serves to spread your upload rate too thin, which makes it next to worthless for users trying to download from you.

Archived