uT 1.8 on Vista not Finding Peers

Destne

I have had a problem with uT1.8 on Vista HP SP1 - uT was not finding many peers. I could validate this as I have another PC, XP SP2 on the same network using same router, same ISP. For the same torrent, the XP box would find 30 peers, the Vista box 3 or 4.

I patched TCPIP.sys. Checked every uT config between the 2 machines. Switched their network cables. Reset firewall. Checked FAQ's. You name it.

In the end a post from NatPatBen on the forum suggested removing settings.dat, settings.dat.old in users\[username]\appdata\roaming\utorrent - this needs to be unhidden to gain access. For good measure I deleted both the settings files from program files\utorrent as well.

Number of seeds went from 3 or 4 up to 35.

I don't claim this is a scientific answer - would love to know why this fixed it - but happy that it did. I hope I'm not covering old ground but this should probably be in the "first things to try" category for troubleshooting and speed issues sections of the forum, especially as Vista seems to produce plenty of other problems e.g. bloody 4226 events ;) .

Only downside was having to reload all my torrents.

I've got the exact same problem on my uTorrent 1.8 and Vista x64 ultimate: I can't connect to peers. There's 500 leechers on one torrent, but I'm not getting connected to any of them while trying to seed.

I'm really getting desperate. Thanks for sharing these bits of information. Gotta try if it'll solve my problem.

If it is any help, my fault finding covered router (I have a Linksys which is documented to not release connections properly), reconfig router to disable upnp and check port forwarding, firewall (as eset has particular problems), firewall for utorrent exceptions, hacking tcpip.sys as I was getting event 4226 in the admin logs, disabling DHT in utorrent, running utorrent's speed checker. There was more but it took nearly 2 days and the rest I forgot!

In any event, deleting the settings files was what ***appeared*** to fix the problem.

Good luck!

Archived