uTorrent freezes when deleting data and then breaks limits

gamer11200

I am a long time user of uTorrent. I have been using the program since the v1.4 days (yeah, it's been a long time). I have always updated every time there is a new version available (even alpha and betas). So far I have never had an issue with the uTorrent program, until today.

I have about 5 torrents downloading and uploading. Since I have a cable internet connection, I have to limit my upload speed. I decided to cap it at 80KB/s. I decided that one of the torrents that I was downloading I didn't really need, so I stopped it by right clicking and stopping. Waited for about 10 seconds and then went "remove and delete .torrent + data". Since it was a 4GB file, uTorrent became unresponsive for about 12 seconds then came back to life. What I noticed in the speed tab was strange. A spike. The upload spiked to about (what I would assume) to over 100kb/s for a brief moment.

Pic: http://s313.photobucket.com/albums/ll387/gamer11200/?action=view&current=StrangeSpike.png

Since it's not a big issue and uTorrent went back to normal, I wasn't going to post it, but...I guess that was good to inform others about this.

Indeed, at least some of the file IO happens on the same thread as the UI, which causes lockups like this sometimes. There isn't much that can be done about it until things get more separated. This issue isn't (AFAIK) a new issue, but has been happening for a while. Some changes have been made to mitigate the problem in 1.7.x and 1.8.x (making deletion asynchronous), but it might not be perfect.

The spike is just µTorrent catching up on the data that queued up because it couldn't read while it was hung.

Archived