IP Provider does not allow port forwarding

lorrir

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Utorrents, so please excuse my ignorance. I have a Dell XPS M1530 laptop using Windows Vista. I live in Rural SC. My IP provider has provided both of my routers a Comtrend CT5361T in my home and a DLink Dir-625 in my office My speeds are 1.0 Mbps at the office and 6 Mbps at home. A speed test on both routers indicate I am uploading and downloading in the correct ranges.(confirmed by the IT guy at the cable company) My IP does not throttle the bandwith.

With all of that being said, here is my problem. I was visiting in Tulsa, OK and a friend hooked me up with you service. I was thrilled and started to enjoy all of the wonderful downloads. It took 3 hours to download a movie, My friend told me that his IP throttles the bandwith and I would be able to download quicker at home.

I got home and tried to download from my home and the download speeds are 5.2 Kbs and uploads are 2.0 Kbs. The speeds at my office are worse. I spent a couple of hours on the phone with my IP provider and a couple of hours researching the subject on this site. Still my speed is not any better. I called in the guy who services my office network to have him establish an Static IP address because I could do it on my own (not from lack of trying). He told me he has seen this problem before in this area. My IP provider does not allow port forwarding and I would have to buy a very high end router ($200+) and buy an static IP address from my IP Provider. This is what he has had to do work around the problem in the past.

Does anyone have a better solution?

More information from my techie friend. I have a AT&T wireless air card that is on the 3g network. My friend told me using the air card would cure my local IP service/router problem. But would the air card provide a faster download speed?

Archived