Static IP addresses.

xuerebx

What are the disadvantages of using a static IP? I don't want any problems with my brothers' downstairs computer which uses a wireless router. I use the internet mainly for forums and browsing. I ask because this seems an unusual task for me to do (i.e. changing my dynamic IP to a static one) and I want to be sure about what I'm about to do.

Thanks.

None if it is on a Desktop. If you have any fear stop over at PortForward.com they have some guides and check out the Knowledge base on How to Choose a Static IP..

Remember after setting a static IP if you can not get on the internet you problly have the wrong DNS IPs. Having a static IP on your PC will NOT effect any other PC in the house ;)

I see.

I'm setting up a static IP right now, and I've got one problem:

I want you to write down some of the information in this window. Take down the IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, and Name Servers. Make sure to note which is which. We are going to use this information a little bit later.

The name server entries are a bit complicated. Name Server is just another name for DNS(domain name server) server. Some router's act as a proxy between the actual name servers and your computer. You will know when this is the case, because the Default Gateway will list the same ip address as the Name Servers entry. We need to have the correct Name Server IP addresses. If we do not, you will not be able to browse the web. There are a couple ways to get these. The first way is to log into your router's web interface, and look at your router's status page. On that page you should see an entry for DNS Servers, or Name Servers. Write down the ip adresses of your Name Servers.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

My default gateway is the same as my DHCP and DNS server (the address). I don't know what he means by logging into my router's web interface. What does it mean? I use an Edimax BR-6204WG router.

EDIT: I set up a static IP and forwarded my port. Everything is working :) Thanks.

Switeck probably has this under control, but I'm up late and amped up on Crown and Diet :D

Using DCHP:

Say your router's IP is 192.168.x.1 (Wireless or not)

You can configure it to hand out DHCP address from 192.168.x.100 to 192.168.x.254

It also gives out the Subnet Mask and DNS based on what your ISP is handing the router.

I configured my router to hand out the DNS that my ISP gives out from my cable modem.

Setting your PC to Static IP based on the above circumstances:

On my home network I use anything between 192.168.x.1 to 192.168.x.99 as a static IP.

Configuring your XP or Vista Client is easy as long as you know the following:

An open IP on your internal network

- Should be between x.1 and x.99

The Subnet Mask

The DNS entries from your ISP

*You don't need WINS entries on a Home network, NORMALLY.

Setting static IPs on a home network is cake as long as your understand the essentials of networking.

Hopefully that helps.

Archived