Port on and off seemingly at random

slystone

My port seems to decide at random whether it will stay open or not. For some reason, on occasion I don't have to forward a port or anything. I don't even have to have a static address. DHCP issues me an address and it just works, the port tester reports it is forwarded properly. Then, one day, it'll just be closed. Same settings, nothing has changed (except perhaps my IP address as it is on DHCP), but the port is now closed and I can't for the life of me get it back up. I set up a static IP and attempt to open the port manually via the router (WRT54G) following steps I've done successfully many times before but to no avail. I disable antivirus, check and double check windows firewall settings (remain on but exceptions are made for utorrent, and I even made another for the port, which I presume is the same), but the port remains closed. I can't figure out what's going on here. The strange thing is eventually I'll just switch back to DHCP and erase the port opening from the routers menu and low and behold utorrent will report it's once again open. Any idea what is going on here? Thanks.

You need to read the Sticky http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3456

However, in addition to the information in the sticky, there may be other issues like what port # are you opening. Also, if DHCP gives you a different address than the one you are mapping the port to, you will have NAT problems. If your router supports it, "reserve" the DHCP address for your machine so you always get the same address.

Thanks for the reply, it seems perhaps crappy firmware is the problem. In response to the other things, I have alternated between several ports to eliminate that issue, also when mapping the port specifically on the router I use a static IP, so that shouldn't be a problem. What's more confusing is that the port is open sometimes without me mapping anything. Although I am not intimately familiar with networking that description of the firmware seems like it could very well be the culprit. Any other ideas would be welcome.

Archived