Port Forwarding & Other Issues

seifer44

I'm getting rather frustrated and I honestly have no idea what to do. Here's the entire gig.

Within the last few weeks, I made a gaming rig. With that gaming rig, I installed Windows Vista Home Premium. I installed uTorrent onto the computer and I've had serious problems with the stupid thing. I've re-installed the network drivers, installed the Vista patch, quadruple-checked my port forwarding a dozen times, turned on (and back off) UPnP, triple-checked the Speed Issues thread, and power-cycled my modem, network, and router a half a dozen times, and I've gotten absolutely nowhere. I've checked the Motorola SURFboard thread, but I don't think this is the case. I never had this problem before with my XP computer, not to mention I've power-cycled it a ton of times and changed my IP address to another IP (And to no avail). I've checked and reset all of the upload recommended settings, but made no difference. Hell I'm uploading about twice to three times as much as I'm downloading!! _._ I've also double-checked the gargantuan-sized FAQ page.

I've disabled DHT and NAT-PMP, which helped a tad, but obviously didn't open the port. My upload settings are xx/512kb

My network looks like this:

Motorola SURFboard SB5100

||

\/

Smoothwall (Just to make sure that it wasn't my Smoothwall, I completely wiped my harddrive and reinstalled the Smoothwall OS, but it made no difference at all).

||

\/

Linksys WRT54G router (Motified firmware to DD-WRT v24)

||

\/

Computer

My computer is equipped with:

Phenom II X4 3 GHz Quad core processor

4 Gb DDR2 Corsair RAM

GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AMD Motherboard which has an onboard LAN Realtek 8111C (10/100/1000 Mbps)

And my firewall software is COMODO Internet Security (Which I configured with this post's settings, but to no avail). I also have AVG Free edition installed, but that doesn't do anything to the firewall. And yes I have disabled the pathetic Windows Firewall.

I've noticed that when I plug my computer directly into my modem, my speeds and connections shoot through the roof compared to what they were doing before, but I STILL cannot open up the listening port. It refuses to change from the stupid, annoying, and hateful red stop sign in the bottom of the program. When I do the speedtest's port checker, and I've set an explicit rule to OPEN the port in Comodo Firewall, it still tests as closed. What the hell is going on!?

Another thing is that uTorrent is giving me this message in EVERY torrent that I try and download, no matter the port that I assign, and whether I've got a direct connection to my modem or not.

[2009-03-02 20:45:52] TCP port bind failed xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:35307: (10049) The requested address is not valid in its context.

[2009-03-02 20:45:52] UDP port bind failed xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:35307: (10049) The requested address is not valid in its context.

[2009-03-02 20:45:52] IPv6 is installed

Okay, I can't think of any other information to give now. Help please? Before I go bomb the Microsoft building and blame Vista for my P2P problems.

Any support would be appreciated.

I've just added this note to that SurfBoard post:

Note: Keep in mind that the symptoms described in the PortForward.com forum thread don't necessarily have to be matched exactly in order to diagnose your problem as being SurfBoard-related. The fact of the matter is, past experience has shown that SurfBoards very often cause port forwarding problems for users, and the only surefire way around it is to replace the modem with another one that doesn't try hard to be too clever (read: not SurfBoard).

At any rate, regarding the port bind failure error, what do you have Preferences > Advanced > net.bind_ip set to?

69.144.186.235, which is my current IP address. It hasn't changed in quite a while, either. My ISP rarely rotates the IP's (or at least not mine anyways. I know when my IP changes).

EDIT: OH, PROBLEM FIXED NOW!!! That was really stupid of me. I set the IP to my actual IP, not the computer's IP. My computer's IP is set to a network IP. I changed the net.bind_ip field to my computer's IP and that fixed the problem. Sorry, that was a stupid mistake on my part.

Thanks for your support. That wasn't too hard at all! :D You can close this, thanks.

Hah, this has happened to users all too many times, which is the only reason I had any inkling to inquire about that particular option. At any rate, glad to hear that you've solved it. Just be careful next time when modifying the advanced options, as they can really screw things up (as you've seen first hand).

hello,

im having port forwarding issues, i have WRT160N wireless N. i have done port forwarding so many times n with different ports but nothing works. i get the little red icon saying not connectable yet im getting almot 30 kB/s upload (which is what i set it to) but down load is less than 20 kB/s. whats goin on. some help would be appreciated.

Archived