How was uTorrent programmed to be so efficient?

nintendo1889

I was wondering how I could be able to program something as efficient as uTorrent? I know it uses Microsoft MFC, which I always just assumed that anything MS is bloated an $low.

This is an email I sent to Ludvig but am posting here due to not getting a reply.

I was wondering if you had any advice on creating a web browser that is efficient like utorrent? I want to make one that is fast, has small code size, and doesn't slow down while tabbing through 100+ web pages.

I'm also wondering about the possibility of making it multi-platform with the wxwindows toolkit, but I assume that would make it too slow. Have you ever seen any multiplatform software written by one or a few people that is efficient?

You know incorrectly, because µTorrent doesn't use the ever-bloated MFC. It uses Win32 calls, and perhaps WTL (this one I'm not certain about; if not WTL, then some comparable thin wrapper around Win32).

A browser is many times more complex than a BitTorrent client in part because of all the possible inputs it needs to be able to process and handle. All things considered, WebKit does well when it comes to efficiency and web standards support.

Archived