Multi-use Tags

dlusion

Myself and im sure many others download many diferent types of files with diferent sizes and we do diferent things with them, sometimes after downloading we extract if necessary and later on organize, maybe burn to a cd,dvd, put it on an external hard drive, or want to share it with friends through mail, rapidshare, add to itunes library, and add idv3 info.

my idea which might already exist but i could not find it on the forum consists of TAGS which could just be text or an icon or a diferent background color, but its not only aesthetic, it has functions, primarily the function of organization, once the file is finished downloading, it can automatically move it to a location chosen by the user, in a practical sense, movies, music, books, pictures, burn folder, share folder but could be more specific to genres, or directors if the person is Extremely organized, this can be expanded by use of plugins or scripts, which since most people dont know how to script, they would have to be prebuilt and require little or no configuration

Multiple download locations

diferent file types and sizes lead for us to organizing them after downloading, this could be automatic. and probably be more useful in a ¨move after completion¨ type of way, so it doesnt promnt the user right away when starting a download

Extraction

perhaps a plugin or automator script that can deal with auto extraction upon completion, again respecting the preconfigured destination folder in the tag to extract it to a certain place

Burn to CD/DVD

adds to burn folder, or in toast, and automatically burns it once its full, or at a user specified used space

Add to itunes library

take the songs, add them to library, delete originals after ratio reached 1, or if album is in rar or zip, extract, add to library, delete audio files, keep sharing the .rar, a little more extreme version could perhaps add the jpg cover album to the idv3 tags automatically? or setting the idv3 fields before the file is even done downloading ( so they are added automatically when they are added to the itunes library) alot of idv3 tags are messy are we might find ourselves ( i know i do ) organizing to avoid the infinity of genres and artist name mix ups and mispelling, multiple artists with no album artist info and etc.

Upload

I probably wouldnt use this one, but if some it cold come in useful for some, auto upload via ftp or rapidshare or similar sites

Conclusion

being very aware that utorrent is intended at being a lightweight, I would imagine most of these things would take place as scripts as to not take away the lightweight status and make it more memory hogging, I think the multiple download locations is a must, and the tags would definately assist in deciding what files go where, the rest are just ideas that can probably work as simple scripts.

feedback appreciated

Archived