some questions and comments, experts needed

mishkin

Questions:

Is it possible to make utorrent seed x min based on torrent filesize?

like i want to say seed 3-4 hours on a 350mb file but more like 8-10 on a 100gb archive...

-------------

how exactly does utorrent decide what 90% Of upload is?? for my server I guess it's 900mbit but i don't have a max speed set.......

-------------

2 questions about cache:

First, what exactly is cache trashing?

Second, turning off reduce mem usage if not needed seems to hurt performance? why is this, is it because it leaves no cache free for the write cache?

If you override to say 1500mb and leave reduce on it will use at most 600gb (talking at speeds over 60MB/s upload)

Is there a way to talk it into using a bit more ram while still leaveing free for write cache?

is it possible to save / export your utorrent statistics? So if u wipe ur comp / server u can cary on building them up? if not would be a nice add

-------------

is it possible to try to connect multiple times to each peer (like twice?), I realise this is abused more than used when it is possible but in my case will help me seed more

SUGESTIONS:

It would be nice if you could have a option to acknowledge the rss results but not actively use filters on them... , like mark them all as downloaded button

by this I mean I add a new rss feed, then add a filter say *, next time it updates it will download like 10-30 torrents, and if you stop them quickly you could get banned from a private site for "ghosting", I learned this the hard way but found a decent workaround which is to set max active up/down torrents to 1, then update rss, stop all and set it back to 50ish

-------------

also the option to always skip hash check would make ut more uploader friendly

-------------

what is this webseed thing? plz explain

-------------

another nice server friendly feature would be a setting that would remove torrents with slower peers.. like say if the avg upload is under 20KB/s per peer..... ie you can have 10 peers going 200KB/s total and that would get stoped, but 1-9 going that speed would not.

Not as big a deal with ssd drives but they still arn't that popular (more peers = more seeking = less reading)

Is it possible to make utorrent seed x min based on torrent filesize?

No.

how exactly does utorrent decide what 90% Of upload is??

See the user manual's description of the "Use additional upload slots if upload speed < 90%" option.

First, what exactly is cache trashing?

When µTorrent is constantly swapping data in and out of the cache because the needed data isn't in the cache.

Second, turning off reduce mem usage if not needed seems to hurt performance?

Because it's the classic tradeoff between time (speed) and space. If µTorrent doesn't properly predict when it doesn't need the cache, then it may end up hurting performance when it realizes it needs to fetch the data from disk into cache again because it flushed the cache due to the option.

Is there a way to talk it into using a bit more ram while still leaveing free for write cache?

Not specifically, no.

is it possible to save / export your utorrent statistics?

No. Requested before in the form of having µTorrent store statistics in a separate .dat file. You can always back the data up manually by looking in settings.dat for the following keys: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=276200#p276200

is it possible to try to connect multiple times to each peer (like twice?)

Not per-torrent.

It would be nice if you could have a option to acknowledge the rss results but not actively use filters on them... , like mark them all as downloaded button

Requested before.

by this I mean I add a new rss feed, then add a filter say *, next time it updates it will download like 10-30 torrents, and if you stop them quickly you could get banned from a private site for "ghosting", I learned this the hard way but found a decent workaround which is to set max active up/down torrents to 1, then update rss, stop all and set it back to 50ish

Not sure how the previous request would resolve this.

also the option to always skip hash check would make ut more uploader friendly

No, it would do the opposite if it turns out µTorrent's negligence caused the swarm to be poisoned.

what is this webseed thing?

Manual's glossary.

another nice server friendly feature would be a setting that would remove torrents with slower peers

Requested before, not likely to happen. Just because a torrent is below a certain threshold now doesn't mean it'll remain that way forever. Removing a torrent based on that criterion is overkill (not to mention the fact that numerous requests to automatically remove torrents for any reason have generally been rejected before).

• 2 weeks later...

when you say the glossary or manual you mean the helpfile right? I have all linux computers (4 desktop and 2 laptops... all on ubuntu but am using all 3 gui's (kde,gnome,xfce)

and I cant seem to open the help file even with wine...

would appricate if you posted what it says about the 90% upload

--------

It would help u from not being banned because when you first add a rss feed with only packs, then set filter to * it will on next update download and start 30+ torrents (old packs)

then you shut them down because you don't want to download old packs but the tracker will redflag it as ghosting or worse because you connected basically only long enough to grab the peer list

if you set active to 1 it will que the other 29 and you can stop it safely, I got banned from TL for this exact reason (they banned me 2x before that too, only site to ever ban me :(

------------

I don't care about stopping slow torrents anymore because I have ssd now so next to no seek :) , thats mostly needed for mechanical drives to maximize speed

--------

I just ran into an issue where all of a sudden my ut speeds / status compared to others went to crap

my server was connected dirrectly to core router in .NL and i get 50-85MB/s to ovh's ftp (yes ~900mbit) with one download thread

but still was coming 10th of 40-60 peers on a very nice smallish private tracker where I'm usually in top 3

now I've had the issue before , the problem is UT will download at 20-50MB/s and upload at 0KB/s, then switch to about 0/50 when done but doesn't do for very long

I reduced the ram cache from 1000MB to 50MB (it usually uses 500-700)

I also threw on a 20MB/s down cap

results back to #1 :)

SO.........

does this happen maybe because I'm filling write cache up and it doensn't have time to write it to disk and read it again? or atleast doesn't get around to it?

I have write when finished on and all...

so basically it looks like ut can't read from write cache to send to other peers??

Archived