the i/o error and potential caching issues.

mikeloeven

ok the last couple of days i have been getting that thing where one or two torrents stop mid download with a i/o error. now i tested the drive fully it took 3 hours it read and wrote to every sector on a 1.5 tb drive it came back normal no bad sectors. i also manually polled the smart events and not only were no thresholds exceeded but there were absolutly no anomolies at all. caching is set up to be automatic and i have about 2or so gigs of system ram available for caching even after taking into account the os and running programs.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Cache: 32MB

Average Latency: 4.16ms

this is the hard drive utorrent is running off of and writing to as you can see from the specs i highly doubt it will have any problems keeping up with utorrent especially since my internet connection only allows a max of 1.5 megabytes per second down let alone actually needing to use the system memory as a cache. aside from utorrent and vlc media player (to watch downloaded files) there are no other programs that access this disk on a regular basis.

i shouldn't be getting any errors like this and the only possible cause i can think of is the slim posibility of my esata express card overheating but it has never done this before. can someone please give me some concrete answers as to why this happenes

actually in addition to running utorrent the computer in question (windows xp) shares the drive (NTFS) with one mac over the network using samba. (mac has a kernel mode driver to allow writing to ntfs shares) can any of this be messing with the filesystem??

Archived