Intermittent slowdowns

joe7dust

Sometimes I get 2.0MB/s, and at others 2KB/s.. right now I have been getting 20-45KB/s for hours off a swarm that should easily cap out at 2.0MB/s and I'm trying to figure out why.

Disabled Windows Firewall

Disabled Windows Defender

Set DMZplus on the Uverse router to allow all traffic and bypass its built-in firewall

Changed utorrent port from 27,000ish to over 45,000 at the recommendation of a torrent-pro friend (not sure how this helps)

Signal Strength "Excellent"

I think it may be this cheap wireless USB dongle I'm using? It says it supports up to 100Mbits and I have all the latest drivers, its wireless-N. But... the last dongle I had was even cheaper and was wireless-G and I had similar but even worse problems with it until I "upgraded" to this N version... but it can't REMAIN at good speed its very sporadic.

Is there a way to fundementally CHANGE the network traffic? Like instead of having it deal with multiple peer/seed connections can I filter it all through 1 data stream somehow making it friendly to crappy routers and crappy dongles?

I know in the past some of these freebie cable modems can't handle more than say 50 simultaneous connections so my guess is something similar is going on here.

My web-browsing is not laggy, my throuput tests on speedtest.net are perfectly fine so this is specifically a UTORRENT ONLY issue!

Here's a shot of my settings:

utorrentsettings.jpg

my college have filters which restrict utorrent downloading speed....

Is thr any software which could help me in...

msg displays lyk this:

You are about to access the Internet from the Lovely Professional University Network

INTERNET USAGE IS MONITORED AND LOGGED.

YOU HAVE BEEN DENIED ACCESS TO THIS SITE.

You may be able to circumvent them temporarily using a different client, but they will always find you eventually.

I was able to bypass the stuff they had at my university by using Morpheus and also binaries from newsgroups and over IRC. But a month or two later they showed a 50+ page stack of my logs to my boss and she fired me haha.. was just a student job at the school so not a big deal.

If your university is like most they have a Computer Science program and it is their JOB to teach those students how to monitor you, and prevent you from using network traffic that they don't want you to. I say go ahead and bypass it somehow, you will be teaching them!

Archived