webui guest user capabilities

krosswindz

I just setup utorrent server on my linux box. I was wondering what are the capabilities of the guest user. Can they remove/start/stop/upload torrents or can they only view the status of the torrents.

The guest user really doesn't work right now. A user with guest privileges will not be able to modify the operation of the server (no remove/start/stop/upload or modify properties), but will be able to view status.

At some point, I'd prefer to use PAM to authenticate users, and set up something truly multi-user rather than the admin/guest/nothing choices currently, so that individual users could have roles or be otherwise grouped in what they can do. Maybe even allow users to have private torrents that other users can't see unless the owner user grants the appropriate permissions, and individual active/completed/torrent directories for each user. Admin users will still be able to view and modify everything. However, all this represents a major effort that likely won't happen in the near future, and would be helped by posts stating the usefulness of such changes.

It would be great if something in the sense you have said is implemented. There neednt be any requirement to associate the client with PAM. If done through PAM utorrent server would have to run under elevated privilleges to be able to modify data associated with user. Instead it would be nice if utorrent server probably had its own user authentication system using may be mysql/sqlite. You could have an admin user who can control everything and have some user and group privileges as well.

Archived