Please help a concerned Mother...

nestamarley

I found some troubling utorrent files on our family computer. They were videos (.avi) and (mpeg). When I asked my son about them he said that they were not videos that he specifically downloaded to watch. I don't use utorrent but he led me to believe that when you are searching for a particular type of video, utorrent can find other similar videos and send them to you without you chosing to download them. Can someone please confirm that this is true? Can utorrent download videos to your computer without you selecting them?

I have one other question...have you ever thought that you were downloading something in particular but once you received the download you found that it wasn't what it was supposed to be, what you thought it was or what it said it was? Does this happen?

No. µT downloads only the torrents that the user told it to open.

If your son downloaded a video as .avi then the same one as .mpg, so that's him who told µT to download the 2 torrents.

And the only way that videos could be in your recycle bin is if they were downloaded into your computer and then deleted, right?

Like if your computer gets a virus and something pops up and you hit the X in the upper right hand corner it doesn't send that to the recycle bin, right?

When you said that "you" are using trackers does that mean that you are one of the developers of utorrent?

I found some troubling utorrent files on our family computer. They were videos (.avi) and (mpeg). When I asked my son about them he said that they were not videos that he specifically downloaded to watch. I don't use utorrent but he led me to believe that when you are searching for a particular type of video, utorrent can find other similar videos and send them to you without you chosing to download them. Can someone please confirm that this is true? Can utorrent download videos to your computer without you selecting them?

AFAIK, you have to choose a title and cause it to be downloaded by uTorrent. But the content MAY be very different from the title. It is possible for one who gets a different file from what was expected to trash it into the recycle bin. Also, something other than uTorrent may be used to place those files on the system.

If one's computer is infected, it is possible for someone else to take control and place files on it without the user's knowledge. The M$ Windows operating systems are particularly flawed with so many exploitable functions this potential is very real. If you've noticed the windows OS updates, M$ seems to be patching 5-10 code breach points each week, but with each new version they create many more.

Archived