ut 25376 x64 memory leak

rkkr

Running Ubuntu Server 11.04 with latest updates. WebUI v0.382.

When utserver is started it initially uses about 9MB of memory. After a week of uptime and about 10GB up/down traffic memory usage increased to 200MB. Had to kill it and start again as it didn't seem to slow down.

Disabled all disk read/write caching to see what happens. Will leave it for a week and post the findings. IMHO program side caching is not very useful as Linux has built-in read/write caching.

Before moving to 64-bit version I was using 25053 32-bit with 32-bit libs. Memory usage only got up to about 50MB and remained stable for about a month.

[Edit:]

I also have one RSS feed configured. Don't know if that could somehow affect the leak.

Running Ubuntu Server 11.04 with latest updates. WebUI v0.382.

32-bit 11.04 with 32-bit uTorrent Server, or 64-bit 11`.04 with 64-bit uTorrent Server (hopefully not 32-bit uTorrent Server with 64-bit 11.04)? Oh, never mind; from later in your post it looks like you were using 32-bit on 64-bit, then now 64-bit on 64-bit.

When utserver is started it initially uses about 9MB of memory. After a week of uptime and about 10GB up/down traffic memory usage increased to 200MB. Had to kill it and start again as it didn't seem to slow down.

Disabled all disk read/write caching to see what happens. Will leave it for a week and post the findings. IMHO program side caching is not very useful as Linux has built-in read/write caching.

Before moving to 64-bit version I was using 25053 32-bit with 32-bit libs. Memory usage only got up to about 50MB and remained stable for about a month.

There was a bug for about a month where the networking system that downloaded data wasn't listening to the disk system when it reported disk congestion, so memory usage (not a leak) would increase because the network system would keep downloading even though the disk system wasn't operating fast enough to keep up (the data would get stuffed in buffers waiting for the disk system to flush them). I haven't seen problems with this except for on an embedded device with little RAM and an apparently slow disk subsystem, not on computers with ample resources. To work around this problem until we discovered the cause, I needed to severely limit the size of the disk cache (to 4 MB) on that device.

What hardware configuration are you using? Real or virtual?

[Edit:]

I also have one RSS feed configured. Don't know if that could somehow affect the leak.

Maybe.

It is "real" Ubuntu Server 11.04 x64 on Atom 230 (HT enabled) with 1GB RAM.

This shoudln't be the described "disk cache overload" as my internet connection is really slow plus I use sheduler to limit speed.

With all caching disabled it is up to about 100MB after 3 days of uptime. Which would be acceptable if it stays there. If it gets up to the same 200MB will try to dump the memory and see where all the usage comes from.

As expected it got up to 250MB after a week. Here are links to two different mem dumps:

http://pastebin.com/FbA2h7q1

http://pastebin.com/rcQKGkDz

Hope it helps. Please write a specific command if these dumps are not detailed enough.

From a quick glance I see that all this usage comes from few large blocks of dirty memory. And as of my knowladge memory is not used any more but still referenced.

After turning off caching and RSS feed- memory usage stays at 23MB. So the leek is probably in the RSS engine.

I was thinking about this over the weekend. Can you try turning off caching (you can use the disk_cache_max_size setting in utorrent.conf to set a low value for the maximum disk cache size, like 4, 8, or 16), but don't remove the RSS feeds? My hypothesis is that there is something still wrong with automatically setting the disk cache size.

With caching disabled (thru webui) and one RSS feed enabled memory usage grew from about 30MB to 52MB in 24 hours. And that growth was pretty stable during all that period.

Please write if you'd like to test more specific configurations.

Archived