help with streaming

on0bi

When I try to stream a video, i keep getting errors.

I use VLC and when the stream is ready (finished the ready count-down) and i click 'stream' i get and error that says:

"There is no media player associated with the avi file type." even though my VLC player is my default media player for every media type including .avi, i made sure. i get this error when i have "use default player" checked in preferences.

when "use default player" is unchecked and i have VLC set as the player in the dropdown that become available, VLC will open but i get:

"Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'http://127.0.0.1:64697/proxy?sid=10a7d2f&file=0'. Check the log for details." as the error message.

at this time, while downloading i can double-click the media file in the 'Files' tab and that will play it, but sometimes i get hanging and corrupted images, even if the file is >50% complete.

any suggestions?

thank you

• 1 month later...

On my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate box this turned out to have to do with the url. If I changed it from "127.0.0.1" to "localhost," miraculously, the right thing happened. After some poking around it turned out that "localhost" on my box was resolving to ::1 so maybe the problem is that uTorrent is only listening on ipv6 for streaming. Mucking around with the c:\windows\system32\etc\hosts has so far not succeeded in making things better. The behavior is the same, in this respect, between the latest 3.0 and 3.1. Wish I knew how to properly url-encode "::1" :(

edit: Best solution I could come up with was:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

localhost 127.0.0.1
localhost6 ::1

This brings back the behavior I expect for localhost=127.0.0.1 (god knows, however, what the hidden cost of this may be insofar as it break's Microsoft's assumptions about what localhost means) but provides a way to get at ::1 too.

After making this change, I can get at the streaming content by (a) trying to stream (B) letting it fail © hacking up the url by replacing 127.0.0.1 with localhost6, and (d) trying not to get too pissed.

Better yet, here is a cygwin kludge mere mortals can use until the uT dev's find the time to fix this bug, which looks like it's been lurking for a long time (assumes the above C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts has been installed, and requires a moderate expertise level to get right due to hard-coded paths... also generates an infuriating empty "dos box"):

"streaming" player option in uT

"C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe" --login ~/bin/fixutstm.sh %*

(cygwin) ~/bin/fixutstm.sh

$ cat fixutstm.sh
#!/bin/bash

url="${@/127.0.0.1/localhost6}"

/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/VideoLAN/VLC/vlc.exe --one-instance "${url}"

• 2 months later...
On my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate box this turned out to have to do with the url. If I changed it from "127.0.0.1" to "localhost," miraculously, the right thing happened. After some poking around it turned out that "localhost" on my box was resolving to ::1 so maybe the problem is that uTorrent is only listening on ipv6 for streaming. Mucking around with the c:\windows\system32\etc\hosts has so far not succeeded in making things better. The behavior is the same, in this respect, between the latest 3.0 and 3.1. Wish I knew how to properly url-encode "::1" :(

edit: Best solution I could come up with was:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

localhost 127.0.0.1
localhost6 ::1

This brings back the behavior I expect for localhost=127.0.0.1 (god knows, however, what the hidden cost of this may be insofar as it break's Microsoft's assumptions about what localhost means) but provides a way to get at ::1 too.

After making this change, I can get at the streaming content by (a) trying to stream (B) letting it fail © hacking up the url by replacing 127.0.0.1 with localhost6, and (d) trying not to get too pissed.

Better yet, here is a cygwin kludge mere mortals can use until the uT dev's find the time to fix this bug, which looks like it's been lurking for a long time (assumes the above C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts has been installed, and requires a moderate expertise level to get right due to hard-coded paths... also generates an infuriating empty "dos box"):

"streaming" player option in uT

"C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe" --login ~/bin/fixutstm.sh %*

(cygwin) ~/bin/fixutstm.sh

$ cat fixutstm.sh
#!/bin/bash

url="${@/127.0.0.1/localhost6}"

/cygdrive/c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/VideoLAN/VLC/vlc.exe --one-instance "${url}"

thx!

it semms like that utorrent 3.0 didn't have this problem(i forget the exact version)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived