Stupid question, maybe, but ...

altquixote

This is probably a stupid question, but ...

I need to move downloaded files from the default location but want to keep seeding (i.e., don't want to be a leecher). This is what I am doing: (a) deleting the old seeding jobs from the list in the client, and (B) creating new torrent files from the downloaded files at their new locations. Is that all I need to do, or do I need to upload the torrent files I am creating to Piratebay, etc.? I read the relevant part of the uTorrent "Help" text but am still confused, because someone has posted a question about uploading torrent files.

1. Piratebay does not use torrents - they use magnets.

2. Why are you going to all that trouble? All you need to do is move the files via Set Download Location - and that will move the files. You can keep seeding and the amount that you seeded while downloading will still count toward your goal.

3. Unless you are planning to repackage - for example, you have downloaded an entire season of a television show and want to repackage the shows as a single torrent. - Some people do that. It make it easier when someone wants an entire season - and do not want to download the individual torrents for each show. Repackaging of individual shows is a waste of time.

4. Now if you are talking about creating new torrents from data downloaded from a private tracker that is not available from public trackers - that is another issue. People that only use public trackers will love you for it. But if the private tracker finds out, you might be in big do do. :)

Thanks so much, jbebad! I'll do as you have advised with the file relocation issue.

I have indeed made a fool of myself with that torrent/magnet thing vis-a-vis Piratebay. Then the things I am getting from there are "magnets"! But they are working just fine with uTorrent. Anyway, it's all good as long as they work, whatever they are.

Thanks again!

Archived