Message to DreadWingKnight, request for more info.

TunB

Sorry to post a new topic, I checked your profile to see if I could message you first.

I posted a topic about Forced Start on adding new torrents, so that torrents could be added without interfering with current queue, you replied by saying it would always interfere with them and closed the topic, was wondering if could get more info on that ?

My reasoning is, if I could mark a new torrent as forced start, it could go to top (or bottom, whatever) of queue and run, without stopping the queue, or going to the bottom etc.

I understand it could "interfere" in the sense that it would take away bandwidth etc. from running torrents, my meaning of interfere was in the sense of torrents currently running, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

My reasoning is, if I could mark a new torrent as forced start, it could go to top (or bottom, whatever) of queue and run, without stopping the queue, or going to the bottom etc.

I understand it could "interfere" in the sense that it would take away bandwidth etc. from running torrents, my meaning of interfere was in the sense of torrents currently running, etc.

I am not sure that you should be using the words queue or interfere. Or at least you should provide better examples to explain your issue. Queue and Queued are to different things. One could think of all the torrents loaded into uTorrent as being in a single queue with different states (Downloading or Completed). Within each state there are specific status values that determine its current activity. Processing would be a determined by a state machine. The number of active Downloading torrents (and total active torrents) is specificed in Perferences -> Queueing. Assuming that you set a overall limit to 10, with a maximum of 6 active downloads. Any torrent that you started after the first 6 would be queued to start until one of the torrents downloading changed to seeding. If you only had 4 active downloads - 6 torrents could be seeding. If you had 6 active downloads and you started a fifth completed torrent to seed it would be queued up to be seeded.

(I do not know - and I have not tested - as to whether you started another download (from 4 to 5) and that you already had 6 torrents seeding that one of the seeding torrents would stop or the downloading torrent would be queued.)

Are you asking that if you do a force start on a torrent that it ignores max limits specified in Preferences?

That a status of "Force Start" also excludes that specific torrent in any determination of limits in the number of active torrents (seeding or downloading)? (Those torrents that are in a queued state remain in a queued state. - I do not think force start has any effect on the status of another torrent.)

I am not sure of the value of this (assuming I understanding what it is you want). I can see a user going crazy and using Force Start a lot and defeating the intent of Max Active ....

Archived