I can't seed (very well)

ms059267

I think I should be able to seed better than I am. Here is an excerpt of my uTorrent log: http://pastebin.com/2CZ3hfN3. I have tried to anonymize it but if you need more detail, let me know. This log is for a single torrent. I removed several lines mentioning "no such torrent". I think that was from me stopping all seeds but one in order to capture this log.

I can download everything quite well. But, except for about three torrents, I am rarely able to seed. Peers will connect and disconnect continuously, the list of torrents shows up speed of "0.1kB/s" for a second and then nothing. Also, the peers field says "0 (135)" or "1 (135)". I use a VPN service, though I have tried with and without it (on DSL). I have reviewed numerous threads of people having the same or similar issue, but it seems there is not an obvious solution. I'm not a n00b when it comes to networking though, so maybe we could figure this out together.

I have Windows Firewall enabled, but I have tried disabling that as well. I have MSE, no other security software. Connection is 100mb ethernet to WRT54G (stock firmware) and then DSL modem. I have disabled everything except IPv4 in my VPN connection, and disabled IPv6 in my LAN connection also.

Thank you for whatever advice you can provide.

Global U/L: 70

Global max. connections: 150

max. peers per torrent: 50

upload slots: 5

I am seeding a couple torrents where I am able to fairly consistently upload at least 40-50 kB/s, but it concerns me that most others show peers connect and disconnect so frequently, and show speeds of "0.1 kB/s" and then nothing.

1st, a lot of torrents I d/l take a very long time to seed & reach u/l goal. Just depends on how many want to d/l that file at that time. I get a lot of u/l connections that do .1, .3 kB/s - for a few sec, then drop off. Sometimes one will u/l steadily at max upload speed. May take me couple days to reach seeding goal on some torrents.

Other: did you use the uT setup to get those values or tweak them some?

For global u/l of 70 (you obviously have fairly fast connection, unless you just picked that #), the global max conn. seems a bit low.

If no one's asking to d/l a torrent, it won't affect seeding speed, but when I run uT setup (I have 3 mb/s DSL), it gives global U/L = 46 & global conn = 230; max conn. peers / torr = 80 (I think 80 is their calculation). But if no requests to d/l a file, setting max conn. peers / torr. to 500 won't make a diff (please, don't anyone do that).

ok, maybe I'm just being a hypochondriac then about connections coming and going so frequently.

I was using uT, then I found this (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58404) and my speedtest.net indicated at the time that I was around 768K/s upload (7m DSL). Though I never considered that very fast...

Well I'm going to chalk this up to being a hypochondriac then, and keep on seeding. I think I will also revert to the default uT values. Thank you very much for sharing your insight.

An interesting observation - and I am curious as to why this is - the uT speed test and speedtest.net shows my upload is *faster* when I test through the VPN. Speedtest.net, for instance, goes from .75m upload to 2.0m! Why would there be a discrepancy? Anyway, I'm going to set uT back to the values for a .75m upload connection, since that's all I really have.

Archived