Decide core files location

HisDudeness

Hi everyone! Hope it is not a stupid question with an obvious answer, but I'd really like to know how to solve this problem anyway. Long story short, I have unpacked the tar.gz archive you get from download page in a subfolder of my home directory I use for installed programs I have to compile manually or which anyway are not in repos (i.e. Software/Installed) and have not renamed archive directory, but when I run utserver it creates all configuration files it needs to run directly in my home folder, instead of where utserver is. So, I basically have a big mess out of it, made by:

dht.dat
resume.dat
resume.dat.old
rss.dat
rss.dat.old
settings.dat
settings.dat.old

I have to copy webui in there too, or it won't work. How can I tell utserver when to store/read core files?

If any of those informations are useful, I am running Linux Mint Debian Edition 201204 with Cinnamon on an ASUS U36SG. For any other information needed, please ask! Thanks to anyone who wishes to help!

• 3 weeks later...

According to the documentation:

settingspath - path to directory to store files of relatively small size (operational settings, torrent resume information, RSS feed information) - if not specified, the utserver program will

store these files in the current working directory.

So I'm guessing your problem is that when your ran utserver, you were in your home directory, and ran it something like:

/Software/Installed/utorrent-server-v3_0/utserver
so utserver stored its settings files in your home directory, because it was the current working directory (the one you ran the program from).

So, to get the files where you want them, you have two choices:

1) cd into your utserver directory (making it the current working directory) before you run utserver:

cd /Software/Installed/utorrent-server-v3_0
and then
./utserver
or

2) run utserver from anywhere, but include the settingspath argument, so the program knows where to store and find them:

/home/yourusername/Software/Installed/utorrent-server-v3_0/utserver -settingspath /home/yourusername/Software/Installed/utorrent-server-v3_0/

By default, utserver also looks for the webui.zip file in the same directory as the other settings files so you shouldn't need to do anything else.

If you've changed any settings already, you should be able to move the settings files into your utserver directory and, if you start the server using either of the methods above, it will find the files and preserve your settings.

Hope this helps.

Oh. My. God. Thanks a whole lot, that absolutely did it. How stupid of me, I read the whole documentation searching for an option to put in the configuration file, never thought about a command option to put in the terminal... yeah, when I manually ran the command from terminal I did it immediately as soon as it did open (so, being in the default opening directory which is home), never thought about that. Then, tired of having to writ the full directory, I manually created a start menu shortcut, but I guess it's ran from home directory too as default, just like terminal. Now all I did was editing the command specified in the shortcut properties including the -settingspath option and it works like a charm, thanks too much! I definitely owe you one, I was getting pretty tired of having a mess of a home directory, all littered with hundreds of torrent files along with settings and various data files. I now feel like my µTorrent is perfect, thanks again!

Archived