Close utserver

HisDudeness

Hi everyone! Sorry for the silly question, but I swear I did a lot of research to no avail, so I decided maybe it's better to directly ask to experienced people about it. The matter is: how do I correctly close µTorrent, like it's supposed to? I mean, I made a start menu shortcut to open utserver, that executes it on a terminal, so when I'm through I Ctrl+C it, but that way does not convince me 100%. I mean, the process does not close instantly, and that can in fact mean it's actually gradually close the connections and making sure not to lose progress, screw parts up, send data to trackers and so on, but I still feel like that's a rough way to stop the process and can cause some problems in a long time. Is it the correct way to do it, or how am I supposed to? And if I'm not having a dedicated terminal session, but I have utserver running in background like a daemon, do I have to kill the process (via command line or system monitor)? Sounds pretty insensitive to me...

Anyone? I just wanted to know how you do it, so that even if I don't get programmer's answers, if it comes out that all people close utserver by killing it that is probably the right way and I stop worrying. If it is a rude and inadvisable way, every day it is passed it becomes worse and worse...

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't used utserver for a while, but when I did, I used to stop it the same way as you.

I'm only guessing but since it's designed to run on a server, once it's set up, you would rarely need to stop and start it, so probably not much of a priority for the devs.

Anyway, your post got me thinking, and I may have an alternative, but it's only a rough idea so you'd have to work out most of it for yourself.

The idea would be to run utserver as a daemon. There's some information on this here:

http://linux.die.net/man/3/daemon

and here:

http://linux.die.net/man/1/daemonize

Then, on openSuse at least, there's a nice gui for stopping and starting daemons. I would guess there is something similar on Ubuntu, but I've no idea where to find it. (In openSuse, it's part of YAST which is our system config tool.)

Anyway, that's all I can think of, but my guess is, from the lack of other replies, that everyone else must be stopping utserver with Ctrl-C, so it probably doesn't hurt.

Good luck.

• 10 months later...
how do I correctly close µTorrent, like it's supposed to? I mean, I made a start menu shortcut to open utserver, that executes it on a terminal, so when I'm through I Ctrl+C it, but that way does not convince me 100%.

If you are running utserver in the foreground in a terminal, control-C is OK.

kill %1

is OK for background processes (run

jobs

to see what the correct job number is - might not be 1 as in the example).

I mean, the process does not close instantly, and that can in fact mean it's actually gradually close the connections and making sure not to lose progress, screw parts up, send data to trackers and so on,

That is what it is doing: gracefully shutting down by doing all that stuff you say, also contacting any trackers associated with the torrents to say that it's not going to be a peer now.

but I still feel like that's a rough way to stop the process and can cause some problems in a long time. Is it the correct way to do it, or how am I supposed to?

This is OK to do, and is fairly typical, for many processes running on Unix-like operating systems. I'd not run kill -9 unless you think you are waiting too long (for minutes at a time) after sending a SIGTERM, because kill -9 won't allow uTorrent Server to gracefully terminate.

And if I'm not having a dedicated terminal session, but I have utserver running in background like a daemon, do I have to kill the process (via command line or system monitor)? Sounds pretty insensitive to me...

It is OK to kill processes, if you know that the process isn't necessary anymore. Not any random process, but typically application programs.

I would guess the early Unix developers chose entertaining/evocative command names when they could.

Archived