Is My IP Address Exposed?

Cetaphil

A friend of mine missed an episode of Dexter, so I was trying to send him a copy of Dexter by the way of a private Torrent. We couldn't get it to work every time I check marked "private torrent" so on the next try, i unchecked it and it worked. However, i started seeing 800 peers which was strange because my friend was the only person I sent the torrent file too. What just happened and how was I connected to 800 peers? Was my IPaddress exposed to potentially 800 people because i didn't check mark private tracker? How was it possible that I saw 800 peers? The peers were not downloading from me but rather sporadically connecting to me once in a while as if I was really on a different tracker.

These are the steps i took to create a new torrent. I took the movie and placed it in an isolated file. Then i opened uttorent, clicked file, clicked create new torrent, entered my tracker with my ipaddress and my ports, unchecked Private Torrent, and created the file.

Basically you were connecting to peers because DHT was enabled which means you were connecting to the same torrent that was distributed on public tracker sites.

When you enabled the private flag all that does is disable DHT,PEX and Local Discovery so the only way someone can connect to the file is from a tracker that has that hash in there index.

I was behind a VPN but I thought sending a file to 1 person wouldn't require me to be connected to 800 peers, so it was off. That scared me. Thanks for answering my question though. I thought utorrent some how mass distributed my torrent that had my tracker in it to 800 people, that was why I was worried. If we were all connected to the public tracker then that's not such a big deal to me.

Archived