Download Limit Stuck

slimindie

I usually have my download limit set to 150 Kbps so as not to interfere with other things on the network. Recently, I have been unable to get download speeds of more than that even when I turn the limit off. I have tried upping the limit, turning it off completely, changing the upload limit, and nothing works. I know it's not my network or ISP because I ran the same download simultaneously in both uTorrent and Transmission and Transmission had no problem getting 1.6 Mbps down while uTorrent was still stuck at 150 Kbps on the nose (give or take .5 Kbps).

Is there any way to fix this? I'd really like to keep using uTorrent because it has more features than Transmission but being permanently limited to 150 Kbps for everything is a deal-breaker. I am using version 1.8.1 (28758) running on OS X 10.7 Lion.

You can limit speeds at two different places:

1 under the program preferences ( You want to select "Automatically Manage---")

2 at each individual torrent (Properties --- check the Max bandwidth - should be set at 0 for the program to manage it all).

You may need to quite and relaunch the program for any individual torrent changes to "stick"

You can limit speeds at two different places:

1 under the program preferences ( You want to select "Automatically Manage---")

2 at each individual torrent (Properties --- check the Max bandwidth - should be set at 0 for the program to manage it all).

You may need to quite and relaunch the program for any individual torrent changes to "stick"

I've already tried changing both the global and torent-specific speed settings and restarted the client several times to no avail. It seems determined to hold onto that speed limit. It may be worth noting that the limit has been set for a long time and I'm not sure how many updates it has been set across, so I can't tell if something got stuck across an update and now can't get unstuck.

From the troubleshooting guide (The first sticky here): :cool:

6. Delete your settings might help

Some problems might go away if you delete the settings file (which will restore their default values). In terminal app, do:

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/uTorrent/*dat*

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.bittorrent.uTorrent.plist

Or/ then Stop/ pause all transfers. Copy the your torrents and torrented files to some backup device .

Then download and use http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/. Search "uTorrent" in the "find all" mode. This will show you everything on your HD that has the torrent name --- you will see support folders, caches and more than 1 preference file. You can selectively delete -- or delete them all and download uTorrent again. That should take care of any old/ updater residual pollutions.

You can recover your torrents-in-process from your backups. (though you may lose your uTorrent displayed ratio status history)

Oh, yea --- that FIndAnyFile is uncrippled shareware --- and the link offers alternative programs by others that you may like better at the bottom of the webpage. :D I tried most of them, and wound up giving the man some $ when it was freeware, because he gave Sherlock back to me.

If you have the patience to delete one-- then test --- it would really be nice to know which deletion fixed it for you!!! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I finally figured out what was happening, and it was related to the bandwidth scheduler.

Previously, if a scheduled rate limit was in effect, changing the current settings would override the scheduled limit and allow you to temporarily set a different limit or turn it off without disabling the entire scheduler. It appears that now, no matter what the current settings say, your upload and download rates are beholden to whatever is set in the scheduler as long as it is active.

Because I had a download limit of 150 Kbps scheduled for my waking hours, I was completely unable to allow a download to hit full speed with the scheduler on. After turning the scheduler off, everything shot up to expected speeds (just above 2 Mbps across several downloads).

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'm actually very glad that it was a configuration issue rather than a software flaw. That said, was the change in the interaction between the current settings and the scheduler intentional or a side effect of other changes? I definitely preferred the old behavior as it allowed me to selectively remove the download limit from individual downloads without having to disable the entire scheduler.

Archived