Bugs in 1.9.0 beta (29250)

dantelectro

Bugs in 1.9.0 beta (29250)

• Selective downloading doesn't work. File priority settings are ignored, all files are written to disk.
    On one occasion, this bug made uTorrent write a 25 GB file to my disk unnecessarily. The file priority reads "skip" yet it was still written to disk, while a ~uTorrentPartFile_.dat file was not created. uTorrent and other apps (iTunes) also hanged for minutes while the disk was occupied.
    It happened again: i added a torrent, didn't start it, selected some files to download (8MB), then started it; uTorrent wrote all files to disk (3.5GB).
  • When adding/opening torrents, the selected custom download location will be ignored and the torrent will be downloaded to the default location.
  • Only move from default directory setting is not present in this version.
  • Manual global upload bandwidth limit doesn't work. Manual global download bandwidth limit may also be affected.
  • Manual individual upload bandwidth limit causes the torrent to slow down well below the limit or gradually stop seeding altogether. Manual individual download bandwidth limit may also be affected.
  • From previous versions: Selected contents (what to download and what not to) in the add/open torrent window is often ignored.
  • From previous versions: Window size of add/open torrent not remembered, though the column settings are.
  • From previous versions: add/open torrent window not visible in Mission Control / Exposé.
  • From previous versions: When you move a torrent (Advanced -> Set Download Location...) the General tab in the Details Pane won't update the Save As location. You have to select another torrent, then come back to see it updated.
    Same if the torrent is moved automatically from the downloading files folder to the completed downloads folder.
  • From previous versions: Actual connection limit per torrent is lower in practice than the setting. E.g. for a setting of 20, i almost never get more than 15. Global limit may also have the same bug.
  • From previous versions: Global share ratio at the bottom of the window is jumping all over the place every second. E.g. 0.3 -> 600 -> 10 and so on.
  • Unconfirmed: label settings are ignored for torrents automatically added via magnet link.

Sorry. You are correct I wasn't quite specific about the right option.

Yes the upload bandwidth limit is not working (at least for me), not even on stable version, reason why I decided to give it a try on beta.

And yes, open/add torrent window never ever worked for me. It opens and show no data at all, I've tried to wait a bit to see if any data would come to show but no, nothing, I was wondering if I could use the select files to download from it but since it never worked out I just ended up adding the torrent anyway then waiting for it to update its files than selecting which file I wanna download.

BTW: Mountain Lion here

Thank you

Mountain Lion here too.

The upload bandwidth limit in this version doesn't work for me either.

The open/add torrent window shows the contents for me if i open an actual .torrent file.

However: if i add/open a torrent from a magnet link, it won't show the torrent's contents until it has first downloaded the torrent file from peers. I wouldn't call it a bug, it may be the way magnet links work.

Yes, you are correct, from magnet links it doesn't work, but since magnets are more convenient i must admit it's been a long time since I don't download torrent files anymore.

I've also noticed that if you stop all your downloads utorrent still keeps transferring data: here is around 15kb/s down 9kb/s up. If I shutdown utorrent then my network monitor stops showing data transmitted.

I went to preferences / network and noticed that even with this strange data being transferred, the connection status displays red no incoming connections.

Strange.

News!

It does work for magnet links too: in the add/open torrent window you'll see a revolving progress indicator at the bottom middle, that means it's getting the torrent file from peers and will show the contents. This wasn't in 1.8.2. I would have put the indicator in the list area of the window to make it more apparent.

....I've also noticed that if you stop all your downloads utorrent still keeps transferring data: here is around 15kb/s down 9kb/s up. If I shutdown utorrent then my network monitor stops showing data transmitted.

I went to preferences / network and noticed that even with this strange data being transferred, the connection status displays red no incoming connections.

Strange.

You are still seeing traffic because even after you stop 'your' torrents, there are tons of clients (peers) out there that still think you have the file. This could last for minutes or hours, depending on the trackers, clients, etc. Eventually it should stop (although if you have pex and dht enabled, that traffic could linger longer -- but I'm not 100% certain since I use private trackers and leave those disabled)

I have reverted all the way back to 1.6.5 because of the hideous selective downloading bug that came in 1.9.0. I can't use 1.8.x and 1.7.13 either due to their inactive memory leak.

It seems every new version is one step forward, two steps back. Why put the effort into new features (labels) when even the basic ones don't work/get broken?

• 3 weeks later...

Another bug:

It's placing movies in ~/Movies even though I never selected any preference to do so, nor can I find one to disable this maddening behavior. I kept re-downloading the same video due to this inexplicable behavior.

I don't even know how I ended up with 1.9 considering I have 'Update to beta versions' disabled. Newer versions seem to remove useful features like auto upload bandwidth while adding completely useless ones.

Archived