Bizarre, Troubling, and Frightening - has anyone seen this before?

newb

Okay, I'll try to be brief.

The last two times I have downloaded content through utorrent, via piratebay, the download included an extra file which was NOT selected. In the first case, I selected disc 1 and 2 of a 4 disc movie, and the 3rd file was downloaded - but when played, it did not play the actual content, but a grainy portion of the TV show Game of Thrones, which I happen to be a fan of.

The second time, I downloaded a completely unrelated content, this time the first 3 episodes of a tv series from 2012, and the download file had a 4th file, also labeled as the 4th episode of the series, but when played in blc media player, not the downloaded content again! -- this time, an AUDIO file of a chapter in a Game of Thrones audiobook, specifically the fourth book in the series.

I don't understand how this could have happened by coincidence.

On top of all that, this all started during the first download I mentioned - about half way through my computer crashed, rebooted, checked disks, and I continued the download. When it completed, I realized there was the problem.

Is there a technical explanation for this? Has anyone heard of it before? It seems too bizarre and controlled to be technical, it feels like someone is manipulating my files somehow.

update: Just to experiment further, I reinstalled utorrent. Picked a random series to download, downloaded only the first episode from the full series magnet, and wala, the downloaded folder contains the first 2 files - the second file, labeled as epi 2 of the full series, is actually... Game of Thrones. The only possible connection seems to be that these are (probably) files that had previously existed in the target path folder I have set for utorrent. But how on earth could utorrent be downloading unselected files, and linking those files to older files already deleted from my downloads folder.

Gna keep experimenting...

Archived