Linux distro capabilities vs a windows 'server'

dmad

Currently I have a VM running XP that auto logs in and starts utorrent. I access this via web interface for my torrenting needs

utorrent is configured to pick up new .torrent files from a share on a server(windows), and then download directly to that same share, moving the .torrent file to an archive torrent file directory.

I've been interested in a linux version to perform this same task.. I have a BIT of linux knowledge and experience but it's not 'hardcore' knowledge. I've built some servers and installed/configured some specific apps but that's about it.

I would be most likely installing this in a ubuntu 12.04LTS vm running on esxi ..anyway

Would it possible to perform the same tasks that my xp "server" (heavy emphasis on those quotes) performs with the linux distro?

I'm assuming it would be possible to connect to an SMB share.. but hey.. you know what happens when you assume

Hi, if you only want to host the utserver then Ubuntu 12.04 is a bit overkill. Rather look at a smaller Debian server. (Ubuntu is based on Debian)

The footprint is tiny.

An the rest, yes and more.

I had a similar setup with windows 7 but utserver on linux is much more stable and can do everything you wanted and more.

Good luck

Archived