Starts at 500kb/s, after 3mins dips to 10kb/s

AnonymousUserNumber_9876

Hi I am new hear so sorry If I am doing this wrong, but I have spent hours upon hours researching and I can't seem to find anyone with a similar problem to me (or a possible solution) I am using OSX 10.6.8 with utorrent 1.8.4 (which is according to utorrent is the latest version for my mac) 

The problem I am having is that when I initially open up utorrent files download at speeds of 100-500kb/s. but after just 2-3mins my speed drops down to a combined total of 10kb/s (10kb/s for upload, and an additional 10kb/s for download). so If I am downloading 1 torrent then it will go at 10kb/s, But if I am downloading 2 torrents they will go each go at 5kb/s, 3 will go at 3.333kb/s....you get the idea. however after some time (usually about 15mins+, but it's kinda random) my speed will jump back up for about 2-3mins again, then drop back down. this happens on all torrents, I know it isn't my connection because youtube still works in 1080p just fine.

the only way I have found of fixing this is to close utorrent when the speed drops to 10kb/s and reopen it, then I get full speed for another 2-3mins. but needless to say this isn't very convenient. Once the speed drops down stopping and starting the torrent file does not affect the speed, the only way to increase speed past 10kb/s is to close and reopen the program (or wait for an unknown amount of time for it to randomly jump back up. and no I have not capped my incoming or outgoing speed.

I am currently using a wifi network and have full bars, however 2months ago when I was usng a ethernet cable I think (but can't really remember for sure) that I was not having this problem, so I would suspect something to do with the way our wifi network is set up, but my brother is the one who sets it up, my networking knowledge is very limited and I have not the slightest idea how to fix it, I don't even know if it is the network.

Things I have tried

• changing the torrent priority (low-med-high)
  • Changing my TCP port in utorrent preferences
  • I have tried unchecking "automatically manage bandwidth" and setting manual numbers
  • Increasing the connections "global limit" and "per torrent limit" by 4x (from 200 to 800) and (50-200)
  • Disabling and re-enabling my wifi.

the only setting I have set manually (or reset manually, the rest are the defualts) is "Outgoing encryption" which I have checked Force. I currently have 6 completed torrents that are seeding and 1 that is downloading.I also have uttorrent on my android phone and when I download things on that I do not have this problem. also something else that I just noticed that it takes about 3mins for utorrernt to notice I turned off my wifi, and after the first 3 mins of torrenting (even though it states 500kb/s) the number of megabytes (or percentage) dont actually change in that time. however after 15 mins when it shoots back up for the 3mins the percentage does change, I suspect there is also a delay between the actual speed numbers and and what I am seeing

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Archived