Stuck on connecting to peers

colossal1

Hello all.  My uTorrent has worked fine.  Now for some reason I found that all my downloads were stuck at "connecting to peers" .  I changed countries on my VPN and that fixed it for a while.  Today it happened again, and when i went to another country some files downloaded while others were still stuck on connecting to peers.  

I've had this problem a dozen times, I have a screenshot of my utorrent when it did this but I'm not in the mood to find it now. I can tell you this, here's the troubleshoot. Whenever a torrent client is stuck on connecting to peers and there is no incoming connections, the problem is always firewall related, considering that the internet connection works fine (i.e. web browsing is possible).

Step 1: Is your firewall on or off? Turn the firewall on your windows/mac off.

Step 2: Do you have a third-party firewall program, like 'armor2net' or such installed? Turn that off too.

Step 3: Does your anti-virus have a firewall? Turn that off too (I know AVG has a firewall as well as some others).

Step 4: Now I'm assuming you have a DSL connection. Your DSL modem has a firewall built into it. Considering that you have done steps 1-3 and nothing has worked, it is the firewall on your modem that is causing the issue. That firewall is turned on. You need to now turn that off. This is done by typing in 'what is my ip address' in google's search box and pressing enter. A result page should show up telling you your public ip address. Enter that address into the search bar of your favorite web browser and press enter. A dialog box should appear asking for a username and password. This depends on your modem. Find the default username and password for your modem using google (considering that you have never tampered with this it is going to be the default [factory] setting username). If you have changed that username/password enter yours. If you changed it and forgot it then you need to press the reset button on the modem and repeat step 4. Once you're inside the modem, look for firewall. It should be in a WAN service tab or a general firewall tab or something. When you find it I have my money on the possibility that it is turned on. You need to now turn that off and click 'apply/ok/next' or whatever it is on your modem. Sometimes, with some modems, you need to turn reset it to factory default in order to turn the firewall off. If this is the case with your modem do that and then call your ISP and ask for the pppusername and password cause now you're going to have to set it up all again. Relax, it's easy to do this. When setting up a modem from default settings the only thing you need to modify is the WAN and the WiFi respectively. If you click on. WAN you should see the firewall option. Make sure it is turned off this time, enter the username and password given to you by your ISP and confirm settings. Then setup the WiFi which is relatively easy to do and there you have it. Try using utorrent again and you should be getting incoming connections.

Archived