uTorrent 3.1.3 always claims "Disk overloaded"

frizztop

My download speeds are hugely limited by uTorrent's "Disk overloaded" detection, which almost always claims disk overload, usually 100%. Is there some way to switch off or fix this detection? It's completely wrong: there's virtually no disk activity as measured by both Task Manager and Process Hacker 2, and the disk activity light is almost nonexistent.

Overriding the disk cache and bumping it to (for instance) 256MiB causes the d/l speed to shoot up to most of the connection maximum, then it drops to about 100KiB/s again as uTorrent starts to claim the disk is "overloaded".

Looking for a new client in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

Options...Preferences....General....tick pre allocate files

It helped my problem of disk overload 100%

i also went to Options....Advanced....Disk Cache...checked all except Increase Automatic cache size when cache thrashing...and changed manual overide to 1700....works perfect now

Options...Preferences....General....tick pre allocate files

It helped my problem of disk overload 100%

i also went to Options....Advanced....Disk Cache...checked all except Increase Automatic cache size when cache thrashing...and changed manual overide to 1700....works perfect now

Tried that. Tried basically all the disk settings I could find. Back to Transmission, because I'm not waiting around for a developer to fix the problem. I can see a lot of these threads and no answers.

Don't skip files. That's why you're getting endless disk overload.

It happens whether or not I skip files. And if the answer is "well, don't do that", then I suppose I'll stick with a client that *can* do that--with no issues whatsoever, and far faster, too. I assumed uTorrent was a high-performance client, but clearly it's not.

Possibly you should consider removing that functionality so people are clear that it doesn't work / doesn't exist.

There's just a known issue with skipping files when the partfile is turned on (which is by default). It doesn't happen in 3.3, and we're going to try to fix it in 3.2. Alternatively, turning off diskio.use_partfile will do the trick.

Attn: Firon

DIsk Overload solved,

uTorrent flushing to disk. Unsolved?

uTorrent Anomaly..must read to believe and solve.

uTorrent v 3.13 build 27120 (32-bit)

OS - Win Xp Pro v 2.0 Complete to full and counting Svc Pakck 3

2 Gigs of Ram Intel mobile processor sl7e, 2.0 gHz @ 300 FSB intel board.

Overall Machine is clean and running well

uTorrent beta v3.1.3 ( began to report disk overload. I repaired that problem by increassing the about of disc cache to the maximum 1024 meg. Problem solved.

One week later Utorrent presented a second problem. Although the torrent appeared 100% it would not transfer from new torrent to completed file. Tried stop recheck 2 - 4 times. The hightest percentage that I could get were percentages of 1st 32% then as high as 61% where it weent automaticall into stop mode and registered 1.8 of download complete. Several more attempts produced identical results.

When looking at the filder structure the torrent in question still remained in the :New Torrent: folder where it remains today.

I did try to redownload the file (another 5 gig so now I am 10 gig in the hole on this particular torrent) my ratio took a totaly an uneccary hit.

Ratios aside (and BTW these D/L's are originating from very reputable private site where I have never experienced problems before) It seems to me that although the downloads read compete in the uTorrent GUI they get stuck inside the "new torent" folder and never make the transfer. (confusing to me).

In the two weeks in between I have had no problems until today. Was D/L ing a 1.87 Gig file same - outstanding source but as the torrent hit 100% instead of the normal transfer it went into a mode called "uTorrent flushing to disk." Looked up the message read some but unfortunately noting solid.

I hit the stop button which stopped the error message but then popped a message "(adlibing here) uTorrent cannot find the torrent location.

I went to the suspicious spot and there it was, stuck in New Torrents again. Went back to the logical "stop, forced recheck", got to 100% then stopped on it's own and rewound the percentage complete to 1.8% Tried twice same exact result. No Joy

The final solution to actually getting a completed and moved into the "completed File folder" was to hightlight the offending torrrent, hit start, wherein the file downloaded again and as it is normaly "program instructed" to 100% it moved itself into the completed files folder where it is currently happily seeding.

Further research using my (limited) knowledge of the whole shebang showed

1. Original download File Size, where the file still resides in the new torrent file folder measures 1.87 Gig on the uTorrent GUI

2. Using windows explorer "properties", I look at the files for inconsistencies.

3. New Folder Containing Original D/L was sized 1.84 Gig - 1,985,449,230 bytes

4. Size of File on disk 1.84Gig - bytes have grown to 1,985,449,984 an increase of 754 bytes

5. Inspection of same file, second download; which sucessfully downloaded to 100% and performed as normal, (wherein the file upon completion DID move to the completed file folder measured as folows.

6. Exact same numbers as above including the dicrepency in Byte count

Well Admin Firon, That's my story as best as I can tell it and I''m sticking to it! <laffin>

Any bone you might have to toss to me would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Image of advanced settings attached. Thanks...

http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb335/darkmanmd/utorrent/

Attn: Firon

Disk Overload solved, Increase the cache value to what ever value is necessary up to 1024.

uTorrent flushing to disk. Unsolved?

uTorrent Anomaly..must read to believe and solve.

uTorrent v 3.13 build 27120 (32-bit)

OS - Win XP Pro v 2.0 Complete to full and counting Svc Pack 3

2 Gigs of Ram Intel mobile processor sl7em, 2.0 gHz @ 400Mhz FSB intel board.

Overall Machine is clean and running well.

Ran uTorrent beta v3.1.3 ( began to report disk overload. I repaired that problem by increasing the size of disc cache to the maximum 1024 meg. Problem solved.

Went to the old spot and picked a 2.2.1 version for test. No probs but preferred the newer interface.

Went to latest stable version no mas beta's for me/

One week later uTorrent presented a second problem. Although the torrent appeared 100% in the download box it would not transfer from new torrent to completed file within the uTorrent file structure described in preferences.

Tried stop, recheck 2 - 4 times. The highest percentage that I could get were 1st attempt 32% then as high as 61% where it went automatically into stop mode and registered 1.8% of download complete. Several more attempts produced identical results.

When looking at the folder structure the torrent in question still remained in the :New Torrent: folder where it remains today.

I did try to re-download the file (another 5 gig so now I am 10 gig in the hole on this particular torrent) my ratio took a totally an unnecessary hit.

Ratios aside (and BTW these D/L's are originating from very reputable private site where I have never experienced problems before) It seems to me that although the downloads read compete in the uTorrent GUI they get stuck inside the "new torrent" folder and never make the transfer. (confusing to me).

It is two weeks later and have had no problems until today. Still running the same version and build.Was D/L ing a 1.87 Gig file same - outstanding source but as the torrent hit 100% instead of the normal transfer it went into a mode called "uTorrent flushing to disk." Looked up the message read some but unfortunately noting solid.

I hit the stop button which stopped the error message but then popped a message "(adlibing here) uTorrent cannot find the torrent location.

I went to the suspicious spot and there it was, stuck in New Torrents again. Went back to the logical "stop, forced recheck", got to 100% then stopped on it's own and rewound the percentage complete to 1.8% Tried twice same exact result. No Joy

The final solution to actually getting it completed and moved into the "completed File folder" was to highlight the offending torrent, hit start, wherein the file downloaded completely again and as it is normally "program instructed" to 100%; moved itself into the completed files folder where it is currently happily seeding. Only problem is ratio related ..once again 2 gig morphs to 4...damnit..

Further research using my (limited) knowledge of the whole shebang showed

1. Original download File Size, where the file still resides in the new torrent file folder measures 1.87 Gig on the uTorrent GUI

2. Using windows explorer "properties", I look at the files for inconsistencies.

3. New Folder Containing Original D/L was sized 1.84 Gig - 1,985,449,230 bytes

4. Size of File on disk 1.84Gig - bytes have grown to 1,985,449,984 an increase of 754 bytes

5. Inspection of same file, second download; which successfully downloaded to 100% and performed as normal, (wherein the file upon completion DID move to the completed file folder measured as follows.

6. Exact same numbers as above including the discrepancy in Byte count

Well Admin Firon, That's my story as best as I can tell it and I''m sticking to it! <laffin>

Any bone you might have to toss to me would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Image of advanced settings attached. Thanks...

Sorry for the typos.....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived