satellite speed issue

tokyoshibara

Hello all,

I have been having very low download speeds (.1 < 2.0 KBytes/sec) with my µTorrent client using a satellite modem.

I get the same result when testing an OpenOffice torrent.

The port tester in the Speed Guide checks out but the status bar icon is almost always yellow (sometimes green for short periods).

My SurfBeam satellite modem is connected directly to the computer.

I get very high ping times for all services due to the distance to the clarke belt and back.

I think that many of my connections are timing out.

Is there a way to get µtorrent to allow for these high ping times?

I often am connected to many peers and seeds but the data only comes in short bursts at very low speeds (.1 < 2.0 KBytes/sec)

Connection Details

---------------------------

Operating System:Windows 2000 SP4

µtorrent Version:1.7 build 3353

ISP: NetKaster

Rated Speed: 512Kbit/sec download//128Kbit/sec upload

IP address: 205.234.xx.x

Utorrent port:1720

There was a poster from January '07 who said that with a few tweaks he was able to get up to 30 KBytes/sec using Hughesnet satellite. I would be happy with that. I was wondering what those tweaks might be. I thought I should start a new thread since that one was so old.

That probably would of been me :D

Well it wasn't perfect although I noticed slightly better speeds though. I found it helped if I forwarded the ports on my router or connected directly into the modem. But one thing I've heard that does help, but doesn't give that much of a speed increase meaning you probably won't be torrenting at 100 KB/s + is to disable the hughesnet (Assuming your sat service is through hughesnet) Turbopage Web Acceleration Proxy by going to 192.168.0.1/cgi/tp_config.bin, select: Use TurboPage Server configured below and type in a random ip and port such as 1.1.1.1 Port:1 and do a Turbopage teardown ;)

Note that the Hughesnet Fair Access Policy has changed since January and is more strict, however Hughesnet currently allows a 3 hour period between 3am and 6am EST of Fapless time which would be great to schedule all of your bandwidth intensive tasks during that time to avoid the dreaded and horrible Fap.

I haven't used utorrent in a while and have used a different torrent client. I plan on giving utorrent 1.7 stable a whirl later tonight. And no, I don't buy into that whole the Mpaa/Riaa are spying on you in newer versions of utorrent, so no worries for me :P

To an Admin or Moderator: Is it possible to integrate Nat Traversal and a better encryption methods into future versions of utorrent? This would make me want to use utorrent all the more if these were implemented.

AFAIK, NAT traversal is one of the things that will be making its way into 1.8. Don't quote me on this though, as the plans for 1.8 might not be totally set in stone at this point. Improving the ability to get by throttling is also planned, though I'm not sure what the extent of those changes will be; I seriously doubt it'll be an entire overhaul to the current encryption system (it might just be tweaks).

Archived