uTorrent 3,X on Win7 64 bit Error: Access is Denied

scas

I am sorry for a lengthy post but I would like to avoid missunderstandings and irrelevant replies.

I am not a real expert but I am a seasoned (professional) computer user.

Currently, I am using uTorrent on 2 computers, one Win7 Professional 64bit and one Win7 32 bit.

I only have this problem on the Win7 64-bit machine. So, the description will refer to this installation alone.

1. the problem

When I start to download a new torrent, after some time (seconds up to 1-2 minutes), the downloading stops with the message

Error: Access is denied

Until it stops, it downloads data on the target directories, so, IT IS NOT A FILE/DIRECTORY

PERMISSIONS ISSUE

Also, Event Viewer does not show anything.

2. when and how it started:

It started at some point in time after upgrading to uTorrent 3.0 something,

The strange thing is that when this happened, a few torrents were still working until completion.

Even some new torrents were allowed to complete.

After few hours, nothing I was starting was allowed to continue for more than a couple of minutes maximum (usually, few tens of seconds or even seconds)

3. What I did:

Although it was obvious it cannot be File Permissions, I did checked them. They look OK (since it DOES WRITE ON THE DISK)

I tried disabling Kaspersky Pure and the Windows Firewall.

I moved the computer to another location (different network and Internet access, where there is another computer which uses uTorrent 3.something on Win7 32-bit with NO PROBLEMS.

I upgrade to the latest build available even the 64-bit Alpha.

None of the above helped.

I UN-INSTALLED uTorrent and just left it there few days. At some point, I came back and installed the latest build available. It worked fine for a few torrents and days, then back to the same problem.

Can you help?

Is there a log or something to help giving an indication WHAT ACCESS IS DENIED?c

As I said:

1. it does write on the directory for a while, then it stops

2. I haven't changed neither the download directory nor its properties in ages

Nevertheless, since you want proof, I can send you the images to document it.

Since I cannot find a way to insert/ copy pictures in this post, give me an e-mail (or help me through the correct procedure of inserting them here)

Thank you

Additional information:

I just added 2 more torrents for testing purposes. They seem to work fine while the first one has the same behaviour.

All three are being downloaded to the same download directory.

I don't know what I am missing here.

Regards

I am not sure what are you asking for, but beside the Windows indexing service which is running, and Everything (which I am constantly using on all my computers and does not read metadata),

I am actively looking for a good solution for a Media Library Manager but not much luck yet. Right now I use foobar2000 and JRiver Media Center16 which both indexes metadata in some way.

I also use a portable python utility to create a portable collective snapshot database of all my media on my computers.

But I cannot see how these would interfere with the permissions etc. Neither foobar2000 nor JRiver Media Center16 run continuously nor monitor the Download directory when they do run.

I'll check again to make sure but this is what I remember.

Does the above answer your question?

Could you elaborate?

After using Utorrent for years, I am suddenly having the same problem with one torrent. I am using release: 2.2.1 as I have for at least a year.

Noticing some Greek text in SCAS's file structure, I should mention that the file names in the torrent I'm having trouble downloading are partially in Cyrillic. Could this have something to do with non-Latin alphabets? I have downloaded many Cyrillic files before.

• 8 months later...

I had the same problem but after much research found it myself. Please do not download it directly on the disk e.g. D:/ , F:/... Please make a folder and remove the "read only" mode from the properties. This happens in case of the torrents which doesn't create folders by themselves and files like .iso etc gets downloaded directly. This may help.

Thanks,

Chan

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem as OP, so I searched the forums. Chan, your suggestion worked for me. I just removed the read only mode in the properties of the files I was having trouble with and I was able to finish without a hitch. Good thing too, since I spent days trying to recover these files from a back-up disc that had a cyclic redundancy error. I have been able to salvage my data and replace the corrupted files. Thanks m8!

Archived