Embedded tracker giving "HTTP Error 400" message

Prospero424

Hi there.

First things first: uTorrent is working perfectly other than for this one problem. I have no problem connecting to external trackers, etc. uTorrent version is latest (2.0.2 as of now). OS is Windows Server 2003 with built-in firewall disabled. Software firewall (Outpost Firewall Pro Version 4) is configured to "allow all" for uTorrent. Gateway router is Linksys 54g running Tomato firmware. This server sits in the router's DMZ and NAT loopback is enabled. My uTorrent client is reachable from external IPs and passes all connectivity tests. Listening port is set to 11111.

Problem: I enabled the embedded tracker in uTorrent through the advanced options, restarted the client, then created a new torrent for a personal file requested by a friend. I entered "http://(my external IP):11111/announce" as the tracker, then created and saved the torrent. When the torrent appeared in the transfers window as seeding began, the indicator immediately switched to the upward red arrow symbol and the message "HTTP Error 400" was reported in the tracker status field.

Additional network info: This server has two Ethernet adapters installed, both connected directly to the gateway router. One of them (192.168.1.108) communicates only with the WAN (local file/printer sharing is disabled) and sits in the gateway router's DMZ. The other (192.168.1.101) communicates only with the LAN (does not route through the gateway). I have tried manually setting "net.bind_ip" and "net.outgoing_ip" in uTorrent's advanced options both to 192.168.1.108, but this does nothing.

Update: the private tracker works fine in uTorrent on another computer on my WLAN running Windows 7 that is a wireless client rather than wired Ethernet like the server, but I'm not able to run this computer for long periods of time. I need this to work on my server.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and/or how to fix it?

TIA

It may indeed be related. Similar problem, although I get the same error both on both the uTorrent seeder on my server and Bittorrent clients (both uTorrent and Vuze) on other PCs on my network trying to connect to and download from that seed. They all get HTTP Error 400 when trying to connect to the seed's tracker, although internal transfers still work between uTorrent peers on my WLAN and the uTorrent seed on my server due to local peer exchange.

I've now tried changing IP addresses for the NIC that routs through the WAN gateway (192.168.1.108).

I've tried using different files in different locations to create torrents from.

I've tried using several different listening ports.

I've tried removing the server from the DMZ and just forwarding ports to it manually.

I've tried recreating my firewall rules.

I've tried using the local IP address for the tracker (192.168.1.108) instead of my external IP address when creating the torrent

I've tried disabling the NIC I use for connecting to my LAN (192.168.1.101) altogether and operating the server with a tradition single internal IP address.

I've tried putting Outpost Firewall into "disabled" mode.

None of this has any effect whatsoever.

The only thing I haven't tried is completely removing the Outpost Firewall from my system. This has several major risks that I'm not going to go into here and, since "disabled" mode doesn't have any effect, is very unlikely to be part of a solution to my problem, anyway.

Anyone got any ideas?

Heh, I actually did that before trying the embedded tracker. Thing is I used openbittorrent for the tracker! They went down the next day. Great timing.

But yeah, I'm sure publicbt will work fine, and I may wind up doing exactly that. I was just hoping to get this working.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived