uTorrent crash dump...

user0

Greetings fellas. I have been using uTorrent since version 1.0 and I have found it to be a neat and professional little application. My problems began occuring 30mins ago while using v1.1.4. The scenario was me seeding one 6gig torrent, with four 2gig torrents stopped at 0.0%.

First off, 2 screens pop up. The first one says-

"uTorrent: Windows ran out of memory. Unable to allocate 48 bytes. Please close some applications and press OK."

and the second one says-

"uTorrent: uTorrent has crashed, and uTorrent will now restart. A crash dump has been saved as: C:uTorrentutorrent.e814.dmp. Do you want to submit this dump to the developers?"

I have never seen any memory abnormalities whilst using uTorrent, and my system performance was not degraded in any unusual way at the time of the crash. Being curious, as I am, I open up the dump file specified and took a peek at what was there. As I had expected, the file was pretty much a slab of control characters with a few readable phrases scattered throughout.

This is where I started to get concerned. In this file, I see the name of the torrent that was running at the time of the crash, as would be expected. Another thing that I managed to see looked like my PATH variable, as would also be expected.

The next thing that I saw shocked the bejesus out of me. I saw a list of my recently visited websites, none of which were remotely related to uTorrent, or had been even been accessed near the time of the crash, and a list of peer ip addresses and ports that were leeching the torrent in question.

I question the integrity of the developers of uTorrent by allowing this information to be present in a dump file, which being a fan of this program I sent to the developers via the second error message.

I apologise for the length of this message, but I hope my concerns are quickly laid to rest.

A memory dump can contain anything that's located in the memory, doesn't have to relate to the open application. But I sure understand your suspicion, and it's worth looking into. Was it sites you had visited during that boot/windows session?

There have been numerous reports over 1.1.4 causing memory issues, and this just proves it can get really ugly.

I would have assumed a memory dump would have included only the program memory.

As the dump file was only 140K, not my 1G of total ram, or the 200M of used memory, I believe only those values in the program memory were dumped.

If these values were in the program memory, I can see why certain users are having odd memory usage problems...

Well since it crashed and ran out of memory, windows must have did some handling of its own and something completely different might have been placed in the same memory area.

I understand your concern, though i dont think we have any reason to suspect luddevurlix what so ever. Guess you'll just have to wait for their response, But im sure there's nothing to be worried about.

Windows does not zero out memory handed over to applications. Therefore the memory can contain anything from other program's previously freed memory. It can only be coincidence that the memory happened to contain such information. You can rest assured that crash dumps are used for the sole purpose of identifying and fixing bugs within uTorrent; the crash dumps are promptly erased afterwards (it's up to you what our word is worth).

Archived